Siemens and SICK Encoder

tlaferriere

Hello all,
Let me start by saying that although I have been working with PLCs for 20+ years I am very (as in brand) new to the Siemens world (my wheelhouse is AB). That being said I have a Siemens S7-1500 (1511 specifically) CPU with a couple of SICK multi-turn Profi-Net encoders (AFM60A-S4NB018x12) that I need to talk to.
- I am using TIA v13 with all of the updates.
- I have the GSD file from SICK for the encoder.
- I have no clue what I am doing
- I can see the encoder values update in the watch table as I move the encoder.

All fine and dandy so far... Here's where the white flag is going up....
- I am of the belief that there are existing function blocks out there 'somewhere' that can read and write to the base parameters. I have contacted our local rep who deferred me to SICK. I have emailed and left messages with them and have not gotten a return anything thus far.

Here's our application... We are attaching each encoder to its own rotary gear mechanism. The rotary will need to turn in the CW direction approximately 400 degrees then return to its start point by rotating in the CCW direction by the same amount. If/When production/maintenance needs to 'rehome' the assembly, the expectation is that they 'pin' the drive in a known location then a bit would be set within the CPU that would assign a specific value to the encoder's actual position.
In the SICK manual (8015078/YIX6/2015-01-16) on page 31 (section 3.6.3) there is reference to Preset control. This is what I believe we need to perform the aforementioned function.

Does anyone have any examples that they could share on how to read/write to these encoders by use of a Function Block or other?

Relatively desperate for help at this point.

Thank you in advance,
TLAF

I don't know if this will help but...
Look into WRREC, this is write record. The structure appears to be on page 25 in the manual (or the one I saw)
Ive used this instruction with Siemens drives, looks like the Sick encoder needs this too

JRW,
Do you have sample code that you can share? Agreed that this is what it says it wants, I'm just in the dark on how to accomplish this. As I mentioned, I am very green to the Siemens game.

Thank you in advance,TLAF

Dear friend,

As you explained when you use this kind of equipment encoders, temperature sensors, pressure sensors and so on, they are all considered as an remote input card for the PLC.

What I mean by that is that there is little to no difference between a discrete Input card and the encoder. The thing that makes the magic happen is actually the GSD file which is a "driver" of your encoder so that your PLC can understand how to communicate with it.

In page 22 of the manual you mentioned you will see SFB22 and SFB23 those are System Function Blocks (standard function blocks of the PLC) that you will use to communicate with your encoder. I'm not too familiar with TIA Portal, I'm a more used to Step 7 5.5, but you can add those SFBs to your program from a Function Block list in TIA Portal.

I believe this thread might guide you on your way.

Good luck