Siemens MMC Reader

boneless

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all,

I got a bunch of Siemens MMC cards that seem to be corrupted or something. I was looking for an MMC reader/prommer to format these cards (the Siemens way). All I can find is this beast:

http://deao-electric.en.alibaba.com.../6ES7_792_0AA00_0XA0_Siemens_USB_PROMMER.html

Is there something cheaper, smaller or other solutions?

I do not want to turn to thát other MMC thread here where people are posting, in my opinion, pirate solutions.

The only "official" way to read/write an S7-300 MMC is to use the Siemens USB Prommer, or to use a Siemens Field PG, which has the prommer built in.

If those cards have been used in a normal card reader and have been formatted by windows, there is no official way to recover them, and reformat them back to Siemens. The only options are to buy new cards or try the pirate solutions. Personally, I wouldn't trust an MMC that I'd revived from the dead with a hex editor, but it really depends what you're controlling.

Thankfully the new PLC's (1200/1500) use SD cards that you can read in Windows, without a special prommer. They still make you buy the expensive Siemens card, but at least you don't ruin it when you stick it in your laptop.

I have the USB prommer you mention. It doesnt "format" the MMC card per se. All you can do is to clear any content on it.

I have on a few occasions used the MMC card read/write tool (I think you can find previous threads linking to it) to restore a previously saved image. In this way I could recover an otherwise defective card. But I have also had cards that could not be recovered in this way. Today I wold just ditch the card if it is defective, especially the smaller not expensive ones.

Thanks guys.

Probably cheaper to chuck em and buy new, then to buy a $ 1000 card reader :)

I don't think it is bad, it came out of an old CPU and when I try to put it in a other CPU I cannot download to it.

Try to do a memory reset in the new CPU with the MMC card inserted.
Follow the guide from Siemens Support exactly ! It is not enough to put the switch to MRES.

In this particular case the USB prommer could actually help. With that you can clear also the SDB on the MMC card.

I tried that, but will give it another shot. Thank you very much for your input!

Are the CPU types you are using different? I have always managed to get memory cards cleared/working by putting them into a different CPU type and performing the memory reset sequence.

Hi all,

I got a bunch of Siemens MMC cards that seem to be corrupted or something. I was looking for an MMC reader/prommer to format these cards (the Siemens way). All I can find is this beast:

http://deao-electric.en.alibaba.com.../6ES7_792_0AA00_0XA0_Siemens_USB_PROMMER.html

Is there something cheaper, smaller or other solutions?

I do not want to turn to thát other MMC thread here where people are posting, in my opinion, pirate solutions.

Nothing pirate in there, becouse you cannot use other than siemens made mmc's. The id's or what ever that inhibits use of other mmc's is hard coded. There is no software to change it.

Also, as LD said, (mmc) memory reset routine when installed on cpu should do the trick.

Sorry, but in this case it is not matter of opinion. It just clearly is not even near anything shady. Somebody has just uploaded mmc images so that people can easily reset their cards if they ****up with them.

If you think its piracy, then u think also using restore partition on laptop after ****ing up with windows install would be piracy on your books.