Siemens MP 277 Touch With Sm@rtService Alternatives

woodj313

I'm currently in the phase of specing a new project. It will be fairly simple setup to monitor tank levels.

I will be using a S7-1200 as the PLC. First time using a 1200, they are so cheap.

I'v have prior experience using Siemens MP277/377 with Sm@rtService option installed. I like the email and web browsing capabilities it provides. Looking for something in the range of either 10" or 12".

However I have been looking at Red Lion's G3 line and wondered what some of you guy's thoughts are on using that as an alternative, namely its web capabilities and use with S7-1200. I've never used any Red Lion products before.

I'm also open to any other comparible options as well.

Thanks in advance!

Consider the new "comfort panel" series from Siemens.
They have basically the same functionality as the MP panels, except they are far less expensive. Only drawback as I see it is that you cannot install WinAC MP. And since you dont use WinAC MP, then it is not an issue.
Also see my review of the KP700.

Consider the new "comfort panel" series from Siemens.
They have basically the same functionality as the MP panels, except they are far less expensive. Only drawback as I see it is that you cannot install WinAC MP. And since you dont use WinAC MP, then it is not an issue.
Also see my review of the KP700.

I'm already running S7 V5.5 and Wincc Flex 2008 sp2. I was looking to purchase S7 Basic V11 for this project but that it only includes WinCC Basic.

Hows the new WinCC V11 to work with compared to WinCC Flex? I may look into of the starter kits for this.

Hows the new WinCC V11 to work with compared to WinCC Flex? I may look into of the starter kits for this.
Very very similar. I wrote something about it in the TIA Portal review. I find the WinCC part more 'finished' than the STEP7 part.
Since you are working with TIA Portal already because you use the S7-1200, switching over to the Comfort Panel line is a no-brainer. Just my opinion.

Very very similar. I wrote something about it in the TIA Portal review. I find the WinCC part more 'finished' than the STEP7 part.
Since you are working with TIA Portal already because you use the S7-1200, switching over to the Comfort Panel line is a no-brainer. Just my opinion.

Is WinCC V11 the official successor to WinCC V6.x and V7.0? If so can you import Flexible Projects into it? For the new Rossendorf Project we've got to finish up using WinCC, but I was under the impression that it was not possible to import Flexible projects into WinCC V7.0, but the facility would be available under TIA - but only in a year or two.

If it's possible to import Flexible projects into WinCC V11 already, then that would save me repeating a load of work in the future.

What about the KTP series ? i did experience come issue with monochome 400/600 model contraste but i don't know if these problems still appear with the color or bigger ones ? (drag or line around image)

they are very inexpensive but you need to be aware of that

I recently had a project using a KTP1000, they are fairly cheap and work well. The only reason for not using one of the basic panels this go around is because of the need for web service.

Sm@rtServer option isn't available for the Basic Panels, only for the Comfort line, MP, and so on...

Is WinCC V11 the official successor to WinCC V6.x and V7.0?
yes. To get this functionality, it must be the "Professional" version. (as a successor to WinCC v7 I mean).

If so can you import Flexible Projects into it?
I think yes. Not sure how good it works at this stage.
I suggest you get a trial of the professional version and give it a try.
Ah, I missed that you asked about import from flexible, not from WinCC v7.0. Yes, this works.

Last edited: