Siemens S5-95U plc battery and program

SonusI

Hi there!

This is something so old and having machine with it....... Last time unit was powered around 3yr ago and it did not work since than. now, we did reconect machine and i did told them there is posibility that battery is dead and maybe plc. After we did switch on the unit, PLC goes to RUN, battery is completly dead, but as I did check, unit is working and functions are ok. We still have some other things to fix, before we check machine completely.

Anyway, I would like to know what is stored with battery support on S5? I think main program is not, since plc is in RUN state and part of machine which we did test is working. Also, there is some card, red cover and labeled EPROM, since it is eprom, it should only erase by UV light.

Also, i will make RS232 to TTY interface to try it connect to pc. I know Step5 is in DOES, but i could use Windows variant from ibh soft, but don't know can i backup program from it?

The battery in an S5 typically is responsible for program storage, in your case you have a an EPROM or you would have lost the program. You can backup the program via the appropriate adapter using the IBH S5-S7 for windows, keep in mind you only have the raw code without symbolic information or comments.

The only thing that may not be backed up is datablocks data or could be at default values, I assume it porobably does not use them i.e. values for speed or some math functions, the DB data would only be held in battery backed ram

Anyway, is there any othe application for win that can be used to backup content of EPROM for back up reason, besides IBH soft.

There are a few aftermarket/alternative packages that can program the S5's, that said IBH is the best... I have used a couple, note the links below are what I found on Google, there was another one that was OK but I cant find the link