Siemens software version compatibility

I found the answer to my question above on the Siemens site. The v13 will automatically update a copy version of the original untouched file, then all that is needed is a complete compile and download. The info I read was about the hmi and I did not see any info on doing the same on a cpu, but I can only assume it is similar. Maybe a firmware update will be necessary for cpu? Anyway thanks for replies. Once I get original files I'll be learning all about the Siemens way....

Usually, the upgrade works pretty good. But don't get scared if you get some errors. They are the commands or formats that have changed in the version. Just go from error to error and insert the same command or redefine the tag (DTL i think has changed so it will say datatype isn't supportet, but you define it again as DTL and all good). So, it is kind of a false errors you will be getting, nothing to worry 🍻

Good stuff, sounds pretty straightforward - thanks for the heads-up. Am used to bits and words etc with Omron, am interested in this Siemens bytes thing - have not struck that before.

The vendor has very kindly sent me a v11 zipped project file that the software upgraded via prompt when I opened it in v13. When I open the project in project view there is no data, despite the fact that the project file is 13mb. Does this mean that a)I need to go online with CPU and HMI and upload from hardware as new station and also read hardware config to display HMI contents/network config and step7 program? or b) the vendor did not export the project properly? In Omron when you have a project you have the complete project offline - am learning the Siemens method - is the exported project just a skeleton containing tags and comments but no actual data? Thanks

That's what I thought. No data. No plc program no hmi screens. Just an empty project. Might contact vendor. I was wondering simply because so far Siemens has quite a different method and I have only just got the software so was just checking with those that know before I go back to vendor and he replies "oh you just have to........"

How does one export an entire project in TIA v11? Tags, program blocks, hardware config, HMI screens, network info, code, the works?

Is there some trick to this? I had heard that one must copy and paste tags and program blocks etc, rather than a simple 'export' or library as I'm used to?

The end goal is to have the complete project on my computer on the other side of the planet, via a zipped file. Then I can implement the changes I need to in the system after the intial TIA software learning curve. A working project will be greatly beneficial, then at least I can play in PLC sim while I am coming up to speed.

Oh **** thats hilarious. Please ignore the last two posts - Wow. I didnt realise I had a folder already created in the automation folder with the exact same name and with a project file in it also wth the same name I had saved when trying to upload the project in v12 about a month ago. So it was my own empty project. What a novice. Now I have the full project once I actually paid attention to the file path. Hmmmm.