Simatic S5 need help

Im just new in PLCs , currently im working for a Steel Mill company here in the Philippines. Were are still using Simatic S5 for our automation. Our S5 PLC is integrated with Danieli Ceda Automation. Last week , one of our main motor’s magnetic contactor got busted when we shut down the motor( motor is 1,200 HP , running on 3.3KV) and from then on our main PLC used for mill speed control displays the following:

• CPU 948 is in stop status. We can set this to run but when we transfer blocks (starting OB1) it switches back to stop ( flashing) and BASP LED is lit.
  • IM 308B (6ES5-308-3UB11) card , BF LED is flashing. It is connected to two IM 318 modules (s5 also) and this modules Bus fault LED is also lit.

Other cards with it on the rack shows no error, Communications processor (6GK11 , I forgot the whole number) , 6ES5-300, 6ES5-312, input output cards (digital and analog)

Ive read that BF LED flashes when there is a problem with one of the slaves, or the profibus connector is not connected. So we tried replacing the profibus cables, the profibus connectors, the IM308B card, the IM 318 modules. We assume that there may be a problem with the IM308 configuration , we tried to access it with the use of COM profibus V5.1 but still we are unable to access it. We may need an older version of software for it

I hope that someone could give us any suggestion on how to solve this problem or help us acquiring necessary software that we may need. I think we need old versions of COM ET200 or COM Profibus.

Currently our plant is on total shut down because of this so I hope someone could help us. We already consulted with local Siemens Technical people but still no one was able to help us. (maybe tools needed is not anymore available for this old S5). I hope to hear from someone soon. Please post it in here or email me at [email protected].

Last edited:
Can you go online and look at the "Stacks" to determine the error?

Also load your program starting with the DB's followed by the rest (PB, FB,FX)and then the OB's. OB1 should really be the last block to load.
Once all is loaded use the S5 software to carry out a "cold restart".

jaysonfrancisco004,

When I have had the BF light flash or stay solid there is a fault on the Profibus, either with the HMI or remote I/O.

When its the RIO I see a fault light on the I/O rack and reset it out on the rack, the HMI error was because someone shut off the HMI but the processor would still run, Do you have a HMI on the bus?

Check the ISTACK (PLC Interrupt) it will show you all faults.

Reset the CPU before you reload your program, not sure why but it will not over write everything in the CPU and you will still retain your old faults (no matter how many times you down load your program). You have do a overall reset of the cpu if you can not reset the faults with the software.

I have a old version of Com Profibus if you need it.

You need to go online with PLC, or someone get to your site that has STEP5 software and look at the ISTACK to see the cause of the CPU crash.

Without the STEP5, your are pi**ing in the wind

ian

curlyandshemp said:
Without the STEP5, your are pi**ing in the wind

ian

Just make sure you are up wind ;)

You also don't need STEP5, there are other (more user friendly) software out there that will do the job, you may be able to do it with a demo

Ian, I know you knew that...I was just posting it for Jayson

geniusintraining said:
Just make sure you are up wind ;)

You also don't need STEP5, there are other (more user friendly) software out there that will do the job, you may be able to do it with a demo

Ian, I know you knew that...I was just posting it for Jayson

Yes you are correct, should have phrased it, without programming software and cable to go online, you are pi**ing in the wind.

These guys have a demo that allows you to monitor online

www.process-informatik.de

thank you guys for your reply. this morning we tried replacing all the IM's, ( IM 308B , and IM318B) and the bus fault is gone. A total of 3 modules were repalced that's why were not able to get it fixed since we replaced a module when it doesnt work we put the old one back. so its ok now. so you have a demo to monitor it?? is it more handy and easy to use thatn the S5? I hope i could contribute in here someday. again thank you