Simple string question

tomezak1234

Does anyone know how I can get a "." into a STRING like ST8:0 I am fairly new to PLC programming. I am working with RSLogix 500 software.
I need to put a FLOAT into a STRING and I understand the rest of the process, but I don't know how to actually get the decimal point into a STRING.:confused:

Thanks,
Tom

The ASCII code for a decimal point is 46 (decimal) = 2E (hex).

One way to "insert" a decimal point into your string is to move it into the position you require.

Because Strings in the SLC-500 controller have Data[x] words that contain two characters, you need to figure out which STx:y.DATA[z] word contains the position you want the decimal point, then use a Masked Move to place the decimal point in the character you wish.

This can be pretty tricky, so many users choose instead to concatenate three strings: the whole number string, a string with only the decimal point, and the fraction number string.