SLC 5/04 to panel view plus 7

Mikemator

Hi.

I am upgrading from an old dead panel view to a newer panel view plus 7. My question is :
1.will the new hmi communicate via a 1761-net-eni to an slc5/04.
2. Is there a serial option ?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, i have done it using a Prosoft plx51-df1-eni. Super easy setup, very good support.

Alternatively, an automation direct C more panel is much more affordable option that uses serial, no protocol converter required.

However, the AD option requires you to rebuild the original panel manually. If the original panel was a standard AB panelview, you can convert it, but it still requires some work since its far from perfect. But it will still look like a panel thats several decades old. Ive been doing the work and converting them to C mores with a more modern design and better functionality.

If it is the latest version of PanelView Plus without the serial port Rockwell has TechNote on how to use there USB to serial adapter to use the serial port of the SLC5/04.
ID: QA29511 (TechConnect required) USB to Serial converters for PanelView Plus 7

If it is the latest version of PanelView Plus without the serial port Rockwell has TechNote on how to use there USB to serial adapter to use the serial port of the SLC5/04.
ID: QA29511 (TechConnect required) USB to Serial converters for PanelView Plus 7

I tried like hell to get that to work but was unsuccessful. Have you done it?

Thanks guys.

I'm converting the hmi program from an old pba file.
Has anyone used the 1761-net-eni series D from plccable.com?

If I succesfully migrate the HMI project to FTV studio and set up the comms settings correctly, do I need to do any changes to the plc channel configuration?

I tried like hell to get that to work but was unsuccessful. Have you done it?

Just a quick note here since I saw this browsing.

I had a few opportunities come up to use the PVP7 on SLC 5/03 when the PVP went out and they needed a readily available and new option.

Important notes on how to make it work.

Any good USB to serial communicator will work. I used the new orange single piece unit from AB for the final connection (9300-USBCBL-CP03), I also used the old 9300-USBS in testing, as well as the Tripp lite USA-19HS we all love, all worked, and the tripplite was valuable for testing operations.

When you set it up. the comms in local and runtime comms are both set up the same way.

you'll need to right click and choose 'add a driver', use the Serial-DF1.

then in the serial tree, right click and add device. For the SLC comms you'll use the PCCC DH485 devices, even though it's DF1, the only option for adding is in there. next pulldown is in the SLC DH485 devices, and choose your SLC processor.

In the comms, keep it basic. COM1, 19200baud, CRC, station 0, parity none.

basically just keep it as is. Don't be tempted to use the Auto option, I'm 90% certain that broke my DF1 drivers for a little while until I reinstalled FTlinx, it would keep searching for any device plugged in and take control of my com ports until i isolated the issue.

At this point, you could plug and play, but building the HMI will be a little annoying since you can't add an Offline .RSS file, and converting it won't yield the same tag results.

So, i found a way to get FTview to force the comms so you can run your PV in Local Design mode testing, or in a full application test.

- To get it to open the com port and start comms with your SLC, you'll need to make an application with your comm port setup in the Design and Runtime areas. Then, Restart your PC so all RSlinx services are stopped and RSlinx isn't trying to control any devices on startup. Open your .MER and apply the communication changes to the 'terminal', your PC, and once that opens up. it will force the COM1 open where your RS232 device is, once that's open and talking (use the USA19HS to easily check), then you can open and test screens in FTview and also get your tag list just like normal as an online processor.

đź“š