SLC 5/05 Apply New Port Configuration Failed on Download

Dave Lukens

I am attempting to download an existing program into a blank SLC 5/05 processor via my RS-232 port on my laptop. I can successfully connect to the processor through RSLinx using a "RS-232 DF1 device".

When I download via the serial port, the program appears to download completely (progress bar appears to near 100%) until I get to a statement that says "Apply New Port Configuration Failed!" at which point the processor disappears from RSLinx. The only way to re-esatablish communication is to pull the battery and short the GND VBB terminals to go back to factory settings.

I've created just a brand new blank "TEST" program with nothing in it and have downloaded it successfully. I then took these comm settings and duplicated them in my existing program but am getting the same port configuration error.

Is there an obvious thing I'm missing? I would have to think that someone has seen this error before but I searched the web with no luck.

Thanks... Dave

Make sure the channel configuration stuff is filled in for both channels. It's possible to end up with an offline program with stuff missing...this happened to me when a CPU was configured for CH0 at 38.4k, and I had tried to download to an old SLC which didn't support that baud rate, so it made that field blank by the time I saved the file. I think I got the error long before downloading, though, which isn't exactly your case.

Also, if you are able to post the .rss file, we can look at it too (zip the file first).

Most of the time you are downloading a higher baud rate.... once you download open RSLinx configuration for the DF1 driver and hit auto configure again then you should be fine

Like Paul said double check your configuration settings on the program you are downloading