SLC 5/05 losing program on power cycle

DebPeterson

IMG_2277.jpg

Loaded a new configuration into a 5/05 and now when we power cycle it
and then I try to go online I get the attached error. And am forced to do a download. If you can't read the error, basically a window with error of 0002h
I am not using an EEPROM.
Also, installed a new Analog Output card and the electrician jumpered it for rack power. Wonder if this might be draining the power?

Last edited:
Thanks Mickey,
also wondering. I removed 16 pt Digital Output Card and
a 2 Analog Input/2 Analog Output card and replaced them
with a 16 pt Digital Input and a 8 pt Analog Output respectively.
The size of the file was cut in half. Was 113 MB now 51 MB.
Does that make sense?

Thanks Mickey,
also wondering. I removed 16 pt Digital Output Card and
a 2 Analog Input/2 Analog Output card and replaced them
with a 16 pt Digital Input and a 8 pt Analog Output respectively.
The size of the file was cut in half. Was 113 MB now 51 MB.
Does that make sense?

If those are the size of your .RSS file, that would be very usual. (Much to large) IMHO

Can you post it? Zip it first.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=54837&highlight=.rss+file+size

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=3975&highlight=.rss+file+size

Last edited:
Mickey,
Changing out the power supply so worked to resolve the issue of losing the
program on a power cycle. But can you tell me why? I had no power supply fault light. We figured the power supply was over 20 years old!!!! Thanks Deb

When you are getting erratic power to the processor, this can also cause unwanted behavior from the PLC IO (in theory). When an SLC processor "sees" this erratic power, it will dump the program to prevent any unwanted or unexpected IO behavior and fault out. I'm sure others can give you more technical information on that, but try it on a test bench.

Run power to the SLC through a switch and cycle it rather quickly. Before long you will see the processor fault out.

Also if you are using the PLC 24v power supply and you short the 24v it will wipe the program, I do not remember the error code as it was over 15 years ago that I did this, and of course we did not have an up to date back file so i had to redo and old program to get the system to work.

Alan