slc 502, 503, 504, 505's

afkcorp

Probably a silly question and asked a hundred times already, but i tried to do some searching here and couldn't find this question.
I have 502's, 503's, and some 504's in shop, and have spares for each. When the 502 fails, are there any issues with me slapping in a 503 in its place and just change the processor setup and just make sure all the output and input cards are correct in the config? I don't need to change anything with the actual program?
Same goes for a failed 503, can i just swap out a 504 with it?
I am assuming downward compatible isn't good, like a fail 504 and putting in a 502, but the other way around does anybody have any issues or tricks to this ?
I would like to just get spare 504's and not have to have spare 503's and or 502's lying around. Or just get 505's perhaps for spares?
thanks

Yes, I've changed out a 5/02 to a 5/03 with no issues, the only thing from memory (2008!) is that the data size tables may be different in the 5/03, so it will ask if you want to re-size them.

A couple issues to watch out for:

- Communication ports. For example that RJ-45 DH-485 port on the front of a 5/03 or earlier won't be present on a 5/04 or 5/05, so if it's in use you'll need to figure out something. If you're using DH+, only the 5/04 supports it. Etc.

- Memory sizes. If you've got a 32k 5/03 of which you're using 28k and you try to swap in a 16k 5/04, it won't work. Of course this isn't unique to 'upgrading', it would also also be an issue if you replaced with a 5/03 that was 8k or 16k.

tl;dr Check your comm port and memory usage.

SLC 5/04 have DH+ comms so you will need to examine your connected network and if you are utilizing DH+ none of the other SLC 500 series will be a direct replacement for the 5/04.

Excellent comments so far.

For your specific situation, I think you should probably have one spare SLC-5/03 and one spare SLC-5/04.

The SLC-5/03 had three memory sizes: 8, 16, and 32K. Your spare should match the largest memory model you are using.

Ideally, get one with matching or newer firmware. You can read the "OS 300/301/302" operating system and "FRN" firmware number off the label, or using RSLinx alone, or by opening the RSLogix 500 program. Unlike modern controllers, the SLC-5/03 firmware flash process involved a hardware plug that wrote over its internal EEPROM so it's worthwhile to buy one that's been "remanufactured".

The SLC-5/03 can substitute for any failed SLC-5/01 or 5/02. Its memory, feature set, and DH-485 network port functions are equal or better to those older controllers and the only migration will involve clicking OK a couple of times when you change the controller type in RSLogix 500.

Because the SLC-5/04 is unique among SLC controllers in its use of Data Highway Plus (DH+) networking, you need an exact replacement as a spare for that controller.

So much great information here guys, i got a much clearer picture now and some good plans too. Thank you, thank you!!!

While it is not necessary to change the program, the program must be changed to use the replacement CPU if it is different than the original. The good news is that the download will prompt you with the required change. You will just need to accept it.

You might also get a prompt at the end of the download telling you that the communication settings must be changed. This would change the replacement controller's network address (node #) to match your original device. You would typically accept this change. Just be aware that doing so might disconnect your PC. But even if that happens, the download is complete.

OG

SLC 500 to CompactLogix 5380 Control System Migration

Why not start a modernization of the SLC system for CompactLogix.
You get spare parts and can keep your systems running until the last SLC system is modernized.

I have made some modernizations of SLC to CompactLogix.
Using the 1492 I / O wiring system, it is easy to make the conversion. Program can also be converted and adapted easily.

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/en-fi/capabilities/industrial-maintenance-support/modernization/slc-500-migration.html

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/en-fi/products/hardware/allen-bradley/connection-devices/1492-i-o-wiring-systems.html

Why not start a modernization of the SLC system for CompactLogix.
You get spare parts and can keep your systems running until the last SLC system is modernized.

I have made some modernizations of SLC to CompactLogix.
Using the 1492 I / O wiring system, it is easy to make the conversion. Program can also be converted and adapted easily.

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/...-support/modernization/slc-500-migration.html

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/...nnection-devices/1492-i-o-wiring-systems.html

That is technically what one would want to do, but slow in reality.