Slc 505 on ethernet question

stu

Hi guys
I hope your all safe and well , I have a question regarding a slc 505 on ethernet is it possible to add a ethernet remote I/O module like a Phoenix connect 2701496 to a slc plc , and if so do I have to use Gsv instruction for the i/o in the plc ?? Is this the best way to do this ??

I don't believe they support remote I/O over Ethernet in any way.

In my opinion, you're better off using MSG instructions to another processor with I/O if you have to control something with a SLC over Ethernet.

Rupej is correct.

Here is the official Rockwell answer:

SLC 5/05 does not have the ability to do any types of Remote I/O over Ethernet.
Alternative solution will be having a Logix processor talk to the Ethernet Remote I/O, and then send the data to the SLC 5/05 over Ethernet.

Yea the only think a SLC can control over Ethernet is AB drives that support it. Even then it acts like a PLC-5.
The later SLCs support advanced messaging but not the required CIP connections.

The SLC-5/05 controllers are not intended, designed, advertised, or supported to control I/O devices on Ethernet.

While you can sometimes send unscheduled Ethernet messages to certain devices (including Rockwell AC drives) to implement a functionally equivalent feature, unless you are very familiar with MSG programming and your SLC-5/05 control system's current loading and capacity, I very strongly recommend against attempting to do so.