SMC Ethernet Valve Manifold to Compact Logix

irondesk40

Have a machine in one of our plants that has a SMC EX260-SEN1 ethernet manifold. Has anyone used one of these?

We use SMC valve manifolds on EtherNet/IP frequently, both the EX260 and the EX600 models.

Every time I use them I have to download the user manual again and sort out how many words of data are supposed to be used in the Generic Ethernet Module object, and sometimes that's by trial-and-error.

But once they get set up and I create some aliases to them, they run fine.

Thanks
I have a machine i will be working on next week that has a ex260-sen1 and to be honest looking at the operation manual is very confusing. The only thing i know without actually seeing the machine is that it has 16 valves.
I downloaded a EDS file from SMC website and it shows up under ethernet devices and under controller tags i now have SMC_Valve_Stack:O.Data
If i select the + beside of it, it show 4 seperate SMC_Valve_Stack:O.Data[0], then [1],[2],[3],[4]
If i select for exampl SMC_Valve_Stack:O.data[0], i see SMC_Valve_Stack:O.data[0].0 through [0].7
how do you tell which one you use for which valve on the manifold?
Without actually having my hands on one just a little confusing. it gives a somewhat description in the manual but just not grasping it.
Hope this makes sense.

If no diagnostics is selected in the setup the first valve position will be MC_Valve_Stack:O.data[0].0 and MC_Valve_Stack:O.data[0].1. The second valve position will be MC_Valve_Stack:O.data[0].2 and MC_Valve_Stack:O.data[0].3 and so on. If diagnostics is selected the addresses will be offset as the diagnostics data is added to the beginning of the Data array. See page 63 in the manual for the byte offset for diagnostics.

I'm impressed that the "EDS-based AOP" worked at all; last year I spent a bunch of time trying to figure it out and never did, instead reverting to the Generic Ethernet Module object.

This is one of those circumstances where Alias tags are ideal. You write your program with a descriptive tag name, then Alias that tag to the exact I/O point tag once you've had a chance to poke around and figure out which valve is which data element.

Thanks, with info i think i have a better grasp of how it works.
I attached a pdf of a rought sketch i made while i was trying to figure out how it was working on the machine. May be useful to someone.