SSD Drive / Web Handling Application

L D[AR2 said:
Can you clarify the machine configuration - this is what I envisage so far:
Web is fed to a rewind shaft and as the web is wound the rewind diameter increases. The shaft is driven by the output of an adjustable clutch (air/magnetic ?). The input to the clutch is driven by a SSD controlled motor at fixed speed. There is no measure of diameter. Web tension is measured by a load cell.

Correct. The web is a non-woven material, about 12" wide, and we are looking at running on the order of 0.3 pounds per linear inch. The tension measurement is a roller attached to a load cell, which provides the feedback for the PID loop. This load cell is directly upstream of the rewind roller. As diameter increases, I would guess that the clutch would slip more to slow the roller down to keep the tension on target.

The whole clutch design is a little surprising - is this common? With the SSD drive, couldn't we just vary the speed of the motor? Or is there better control with the magnetic clutch (assuming it is magentic - I don't see a pneumatic line and there is a controller in the cabinet which takes the output of the SSD Drive PID that says MAGPOWR)?

Originally posted by billysmithde2:

With the SSD drive, couldn't we just vary the speed of the motor?

You got it. The 890 should come with block in it called a Speed Programmed Winder (SPW). This block is designed to perform all the functions you need to perform center winding, including the speed PI, gain sheduling, diameter calculation, tension taper and accel/decel feed forward. In my experience this will give you MUCH better performance than clutch based winding simply because the bandwidth is so much better. The combination of an SSD 890 and a clutch is really odd. An SSD 650, sure. But not an SSD 890.

Keith

Top Menu

Block > Winder > SPW3

SPW.jpg

Insert the block into a blank page then highlight it and press F1 to bring up help on the block.

Last edited:
Heres the SPW3 Link Application Handbook

(Its called Link as the 890 is based on LINK Technology, if you add a LINK Tech Box to a 690 or 590 you can also have access to the SPW3 Block)

Last edited: