SYMax NIM to SyMax Processor

lazy8

I'm trying to connect to a SyMax Processor 300 via a Network Interface Module. I set the communication settings using the dip switches on the board of the NIM to match those I set on the SQD software.

Set the route according to the manual. No luck! Anyone?

Not sure if I'm doing the route incorrectly or the dip switches.

SY/Max is a very old (1980's) PLC from Square D. Not sure if anyone has used them.

There are two ports on the NIM, the typical arrangemnt was to connect the bottom port of the NIM to the processor and then use the top port for your communications.

The addressing is 0xx for the top port and 1xx for the bottom port, where XX is the thumbwheel number.

The dip switches for most communications should be SY/MAX mode. The others are for specific devices.

That's what I tried and never worked.

For the route if I'm using your configuration and a 00 address. How do I specify it? 000 100?

The top port is 000 and the bottom port is 100.
So in a logic statement, your "sending" device (the first address) would be ROUTE 000, and the processor would be the second address of ROUTE 100. In the programming software this would look like 000,100,000,000 even though you are not using the additional 2 routes (I rarely used NIM module 00 because it is sometimes easy to confuse with a dummy address).

Check the pin outs on your inconnect cable, I seem to remember that the NIM needs handshaking instead of jumpers on pins 5-6 and 7-8.

I'm trying to connect my laptop using Fast Track. I get a Transmit light on the NIM but no Receive.

No luck yet... More later..

Just got connection to it. Worked great.

Switch S4 and S5 have to be as follows: 1, 4 and 7 up. 2,3,5 and 6 down as in closed.

In addition the 232-422 converter has to be powered. Otherwise, it won't work.

Thanks for your help....