TCP Quickpanel QPI11100E2P

msoto

Hi everyone,
I'm a newby here so excuse me if I sound like one.

I’d just receive a new TCP Quickpanel (QPI11100E2P/SERIES B), for an old Alloyd tray sealer. The only difference between the old and the new panels is their system configurations, the old one was: TV and the new one is: VD. I don't know if this is an issue but just FYI.
Now, what should I do in order to install the new one?
How do I transfer the program from one panel to the other? or
How do I program the new one?
What kind of software and cable do I need for this?
I understand that GE own this line but couldn't get much info from them here in Puerto Rico.

MS

Whew... that's a hard one. I don't know what is the difference between "TV" and "VD". I do know this product is so old it, for all intents and purposes, has run out of its useful life.

It used to be programmed with QuickDesigner; you would have to contact a GE or a Pro-face distributor to buy a copy; you would also need a programming cable. The problem is, you would need an old version (3.1? 3.2? 3.4? - can't tell) of QuickDesigner; the latest version (3.7) does not work with these old boxes. It could've been programmed with a different software called GP-Pro form Pro-face as well, it is possible for anyone who have seen both to determine which one was used just by the look of the screen objects (buttons, fonts etc.), but almost impossible to describe.

We have had a similar problem with an old machine a few years ago: we ended up finding a local contractor who did have an old QuickDesigner and paying him (not cheap) just for uploading the application from the old unit and downloading it into the new one. I am afraid that would be your most reasonable option for now.

If you feel you can do it, consider eventually replacing this unit with a newer one (form GE or from Pro-face or from entirely different vendor - whatever your preference is) and re-creating the HMI application from scratch. This particular one is a dead end. Of course, if your company is planning to scrap this particular piece of equipment in a year or two, then you don't have to do it. Otherwise... well, see if it makes sense.

I just checekd on the Net how much can you buy this old unit for - it seems to go for $2600 - $2800. This money today buys you a brand-new 12 inch color touchscreen from GE or Pro-face with much better capabilities and more powerful features...