The 10 most dangerous jobs in America...

RussB

Lifetime Supporting Member
The 10 most dangerous jobs in America.
The 10 most dangerous jobs in America:

1 Fisherman

Fatality rate per 100,000 workers: 116
Median wage: $27,880

2 Logger

Fatality rate per 100,000 workers: 92
Median wage: $38,660

3 Airplane Pilot

Fatality rate per 100,000 workers: 71
Median wage: $115,300

4 Farmer and Rancher

Fatality rate per 100,000 workers: 41
Median wage: $65,960

5 Mining Machine Operator

Fatality rate per 100,000 workers: 39
Median wage: $39,950

6 Roofer

Fatality rate per 100,000 workers: 32
Median wage: $37,880

7 Sanitation worker

Fatality rate per 100,000 workers: 30
Median wage: $34,310

8 Truck driver/Delivery man

Fatality rate per 100,000 workers: 22
Median wage: $35,500

9 Industrial Machine repair man

Fatality rate per 100,000 workers: 20
Median wage: $45,700

10 Policeman

Fatality rate per 100,000 workers: 18
Median wage: $55,620

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/...obs/index.html

I wonder who all is included in number nine?

That looks like fishermen and loggers are not getting paid for their risks, but policemen are. Industrial Machine repair men need about a $5000 raise.

Last edited:
More pay, but what about the risks of getting eaten, bit, or stung? I mean, here we only have to worry about being bombed!

Can understand the Fisherman being #1, even here in Canada. My wife had a cousin and his crew die, who was an independant fisherman on the East Coast. These guys are now contract workers that have a quota to meet. Many time they go out in unfavourable conditions to meet the quota. He died on a windy icy day when his boat capsized, and one of his two crew body was never found.

Last edited:
Don't seem right, how can airline pilot be #3? Maybe they count all pilot?
Do you think an airplane pilot has a riskier job? Have you ever done any logging in the deep woods? Talk about hazards -nothing but danger on every side. There are big log skidder machines that can run over you or turn over and crush you to a pulp; the log trucks that turn over on steep hillsides, or break a cable and dump logs over everyone within 100 feet; the big chain saws that can cut off your arm or leg; the rattlesnakes and copperheads that get agitated about all the racket; the widow-makers that lodge high up in another tree and have to be cut down at great risk; the saplings that get sprung as the big trees fall and snap back to take off a head. Not to speak of the mad landowners that do not want you there messing up the woods, the hunters that had just as soon accidently shoot you, the bad lunches, bad water, and on and on. There are very few old loggers still working, but many retired with broken backs or worse.

PS: I forgot about the poision ivy, poision oak, bees, wasps, and other dangerous things that live around tress and can put you out of work for a week! I can imagine that ocean fishermen have it even worse.

Last edited:
Airplane pilot, not airline pilot. And the list is specific to the USA.

There hasn't been a loss-of-life airliner crash in the USA since the loss of a Q400 near Buffalo, NY in 2009.

But I don't have to go back further than a couple of months locally to recall a Cessna that hit a mountain near town. And in Alaska, multiply all that by 10.

Oh, I can't read... it's monday morning, you know. Make sense if you count all the bush pilots.

My bro is an airline pilot and he had an incident last year where the control system in the Airbus pulled an "I know how to fly better than you" and almost ditched it.

Oh, you thought being an airplane pilot was less risky, not more. There are few crashes due to all the safety programs, but if you are in one, there are few escape routes.

Some of those jobs have inherent risks that are difficult to mitigate, though we keep trying.

However I'll bet that most of the fatalities for #2, #6, and #9 could have been prevented and that many of those can be blamed on failure to use proper safety equipment and safety procedures. A roofer was killed here just over a week ago - he was wearing a harness but had unhooked his single lanyard to move to a different anchor point; had he been wearing a dual lanyard he would have been home to tuck his little girl in that night.

The same can be said for the other professions, however, driving is the most hazardous activity to which most of us are exposed and three of those, (7, 8 10) are in traffic for most of their workday. There are things we can do to protect ourselves, but you can't control the other idiots.

I don't know anything about commercial fishing and I don't think watching The Deadliest Catch is going to really teach me anything realistic about it, but I'm sure there is room for improvement for fishermen.

Stay safe out there, there really is no reason for #9 to be on that list.