TI545 - TISOFT on Port 1 - HMI on Port 2?

Transistor

Any old TI545 boys or girls reading this?

Something I never figured out. We have one RS232 serial connection between our PC and the 545 Port 1. We have to quit the HMI application before starting TISOFT to program or debug and then quit TISOFT to get back to the HMI.

Can anyone remember if we can use the second port for TISOFT while using Port 1 for the HMI? Any tricks we should know?

Many thanks.

The last factory i worked had all 500/505 based plcs. Always had the same issue. What type of HMI is it. Maybe that can use 422.

Regards,
Barry.

ti545.JPG

Thanks, Barry.
The HMI is running a VB6 application (for which we have source code) with, I think, a home made comms driver written with TI information received under non-disclosure agreement almost 30 years ago!

We're using USB serial adaptors so I guess I should be able to use an RS422 adaptor for the HMI on the PLC's Port 2. I can run TISOFT then on another PC or DOSBOX(?) talking on Port 1 over RS232.

What do you reckon?

Do you have any remote bases on the system. We used to use one of the remote base serial ports for programming, and the processor port for HMI. You could also add an ethernet card, but not cheap.

Thanks again, Barry. I got it working.
Despite the manual showing that only 2-wire + shield connection was required it seems that some loopback jumpers are required on the PLC end. I now have two cables wired as shown below.

Code:
TI545 - PC serial cables

PLC                                     PLC
D9-F                                   D9-F

2 >-------------------------------------< 3
3 >-------------------------------------< 2
5 >-------------------------------------< 5

7 >---+
8 >---+ loop

1 >---+
4 >---+ loops
6 >---+

I can now have the TISOFT running on one port and the VB6 HMI running on the other. This makes life much easier. I should have figured this out in 1995, I think!