Too Many Hotlinks in Excel?

soop7667

I'm using DDE/OPC Links in Excel to gather data from a SLC 5/04 over a DH+ Connection. Unfortunately my Employer doesn't see a lot of value in a nice PCI DH+ Interface Card So I'm forced to pass-thru a Spare SLC 5/04 on it's DF1 port. My Excel Hotlinks sometimes "Flash Out" - returns a #N/A Error. My Data seems to be more delayed the more hot links I have. I wanted to modulize my Excel Sheets and put a few links on each Sheet rather than all on one. All of my hotlinks still remain active though. I know I can turn off remote references on an entire workbook - however I can't figure out how to disable them on one sheet alone.
Anyone Have experience in this?

I can't really help you solve this problem. But, I've seen it too. The number of topics doesn't really seem to matter, either. Usually, I have to force the data to refresh (you should be able to click on the cell), restart Excel, or restart RSLinx.

I haven't figured out where the bottleneck really is, yet. But you might try adding some VB code to your Excel spreadsheet to force a periodic refresh.

AK

Well, I got a bit aggervated with it - ripped out my hair for a couple days - then I ripped some more hair out and finally I pulled out this 1 gray hair that I had, and the answer came to me. I made up a few new books and Modulized my information. I kept all the info that I really really wanted to interact with in one sheet - and moved all the other Data to new workbooks. I then placed some command buttons in there to switch between workbooks - and it turns off the hotlinks to the workbook which is no longer being viewed and turn them on in the workbook which is currently being viewed. That seems to of stopped my lagging connection. I think this will clear up if I could just get my hands on a KTX Card with a PCI interface.

That's a smart fix.

You might want to look a little deeper into RSLinx, too. I believe you can increase a "block size" in there somewhere. If I'm right, you can reduce the total number of data transactions. That often helps to improve communication.

AK

Something else taht may be associated with this. I just hokked up this DH+ Network recently - It's my first network of any kind. I have my termination resistors in place and all the wiring was done right - but I've noticed that sometimes some of my nodes don't show up until I open my excel worksheet - also having a hard time going online with those nodes through RSLogix500...They show up in RSWho however when I try to go online with it sometimes I get a Ox4 Error from linx.