Toshiba EX40 (not Plus) ROM help

TJonesTherma

I have replaced a blown out program in an EX40.
I have replaced the battery and restored operation.
I wish to install the ROM module (RM66, with R/W switch).
However, I cannot find any command list or instruction for completing this task.

Toshiba support sent me the configuration information for the module itself. There is no other help available from Toshiba.
I have the user guide for the EX40 PLUS, but the commands are different for the "Non-Plus" device that I have.

I am asking for help with some specific instructions to install the ROM module and copy the present program into the ROM module.

Any Help?

Tim
San Jose, CA

Are you using a hand held programmer, or programming software with an interface? I should be able to help you tonight, I'm on the road right now.

Last edited:
I am using a handheld programmer.
Programming is complete, and working fine.
Just a step by step direction would be most helpful.
Not an immediate need. But on the list of things to be done.

Thanks for responding.

TJ

In my collection of old plcs, I only found the EX40Plus PLC, Hand Held Programmer EX2040PRGD, and manual EX20_40 Plus Manual_506.pdf, not a plain EX40 manual. CMD 41, 42, and 43 are used for the features you are looking for. Read pages II-83 thruII-85 in the manual from the link below. See if these are the commands you need. Maybe the plain EX40 does not have these commands, I don't know.
Right Click on this link, Then Save Target As, unless you already have this manual:
http://www.toshiba.com/ind/data/tag_files/EX20_40%20Plus%20Manual_506.pdf

Edit:
What version Hand Held Programmer are you using? I have version 2.3, maybe an earlier version Hand Held Programmer doesnt support the necessary Commands.

Last edited:
I have already downloaded and printed that same manual. I used the direction in the book. However, I was getting an error message related to attempting to write to a non-erased prom module. I think I was able to erase the prom, but I still get an error when I try to write to the prom.

I can find no clear instruction or support for the "R-W" switch on the prom module. Trial and error has me worried about having to write the program again.
Rewriting the program is no big deal, a it's only about 25 lines of simple relay and timer logic.

I left the programmer in the cabinet at the site. But i believe is is a rev 2.3.
I can issue the commands as described in the book. But the results do not match.
The book reference to prom erasing (bottom of page 11-85) is not true in my case, as I have a RM66 module with the R-W switch.

Thanks again for looking into this with me.

Tim

Last edited:
I'm going on memory now, try to open the memory module. Look inside to see a little switch labeled 20/40. Maybe it is on 20 instead of 40. l might be thinking about another module.

No such switch.
Toshiba sent me the enclosure document for the RM66 which has jumpers to set for Plus and non-plus, Mode A or Mode B.
It appears that I with the jumpers in mode A,and the R-W switch in the W position, I should be able to write the program from the PLC into the ROM with a command 41.

Could you scan the document and make a .pdf file, then, attach it to a post here?

Dont know if this will work or not. Use at your own risk. Of course I am having to use the 40 Plus PLC for testing. I had to erase the PROM module before I could write to it. I did not see CMD 40 in the manual but that is the one to erase the PROM module. Here is the setup.
R/W switch in "W". Jumpers inside set to "B". Of course your jumpers should be set to "A". Put the PLC in "Halt". Now to the LCD Programmer. "CMD" "4" "0" "WRT". On the screen, the CMD and PROM blinks for about a minute, then, at the top reads CMD040-----ERASE if sucessful. (No dashes, I just put them in). After a sucessful ERASE, try CMD 4 1 WRT. If you get a good write after about a minute or so it will say at the top CMD041-----WRITE. After a sucessful WRITE do CMD 4 2 WRT. After a short time it should say at the top, CMD042-----COMPARE.

OK, it seemed to work.
I have an error (err . 10), when writing to the PROM, apparently a problem with my end instruction, but the program in the PLC works fine.
I'll take a little time and chase that down.
Also an error when compared (err. 29), likely related to the same problem.

Thanks for the help.
If you have any tips for what to look for to kill the ERR.10 error, I'll take 'em.

Thanks again,

Tim

Error 10 = missing END instruction.
Remedy: If the END rung is already on a screen with other ladder rungs remove it from there. Put only the END instruction on a rung on a separate screen at the end of the program.
Error 29 = FORCE in Ram.
Remedy: Remove the force.

In the EX20_40 Plus Manual_506.pdf, see the Error Tables in Appendix A, pages A-1, A-2.

Last edited:
Error 29 is actually error 26, which would be explained by the error 10.
After power cycle, PLC with EEPROM installed started normally. No fault light. Prom light active and program running normally.
Time will tell.

TJ