tunnel control system

Charbel

Dear,

for tunnel control system, usually I use a dedicated network, RTU's recessed in the wall of the tunnel and connected to PLC cabinet located in the electrical room interconnected with MCC cabinet for the control of fans in case of fire in the tunnel. FAP send a signal to the PLC cabinet and the jet fans in each tube of the tunnel is controlled accordingly. therefore, in this case, I use PLC with SIL3 specifications.

I am working in a project where I have to use converged network in the tunnel, and a study is made for ITS (intelligent traffic control system) in a tunnel where they are controlling everything related to traffic (AID, tracking, dynamic messaging, lane control, intersection control speed management, etc...). In this project, connection of the PLC's to the RTU's will have to use converged network. is this doable? and does this contradicts with the SIL3 application for safety?

any thoughts on this are really appreciated.

thank you,

Charbel

Charbel,

If your definition of a converged network is as follows:

"Network convergence refers to the provision of telephone, video and data communication services within a single network. In other words, one pipe is used to deliver all forms of communication services."

You will likely want to go Ethernet. For this, we offer the following:

Westermo for Ethernet switching and routing. For distance you may need to consider a fiber ring. Both are actionable through Westermo's products.

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Westermo/industrialethernet.htm

Triangle Research - Embedded Ethernet PLC

http://www.eternity-sales.com/tri-plc/tri-plc.htm

Kepware - OPC server for connectivity and network management.

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Kepware/Kepware.htm

ESI is an authorized distributor for all companies referenced.

Feel free to email me through the link below if you have additional questions.

dear Stephan,

Thank you for your reply, but my question was if this contradicts with the SIL3 application for safety, since the PLC's and RTU's are connected using the converged network in a ring configuration.
or it is better to use a dedicated connection between the PLC's and RTU's in the tunnel.

regards,

charbel