USB to Serial Adaptor

JeffB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

I've been trying to use a Targus USB serial adapter to download thru the serial port of an A/B PV 550 without success.

Can anyone recommend an adapter that would work for this purpose.

Thanks in Advance,

Jeff

Yes, there is an issue with USB-to-COM adapters. In general because Profilic Inc produce different kinds of chip pl2303 for such adaptors. They have same VID and PID identification but different drivers!

So only one suggestion - buy fresh adaptor supplied with driver disk.

I have ans use with sucess a Belkin F5U409. I have not tried it with a PV 550, but I use it with Koyo PLC's, AVG HMI's, and a SLC 5/05.

XtremeIN said:
I have ans use with sucess a Belkin F5U409. I have not tried it with a PV 550, but I use it with Koyo PLC's, AVG HMI's, and a SLC 5/05.

I use these too and have had no problems.

I gave up trying to convert USB to serial, especially for all of the different age software packages I have. Instead I bought a PCMCIA to serial card. This card functions the same as a normal comm 1 port so I have not had any driver issues.

I have the keyspan adapter that mickey pointed to. I bought it at CompUSA.

I havn't tried it on a PV 550, but it works with the PV 1000. Actually, it has worked with everything I have tried to communicate with so far (including some devices, like Maple OITs, that haven't worked with any other USB-serial adapters that we have tried).

I have used the Belkin F5U103 successfully with Micrologix, Compactlogix, Controllogix, SLCs, Panelview 550s, 600s, 1000, Mitsubishi, and Compumotor. It is older and bulkier but I would think it's newer replacement would do the same

I have a Targus PA088 will talk to anything AB that I have plugged it into except RS-485 for which I have the AB 1747-UIC which is meant to do RS-485 (which works well) and RS-232 (which doesn't seem to work for me).