Using MS Word to download STL to S7 PLC

Hi Guys,

I had a nifty little program I used to use for downloading STL to PLC using MS Word. It was real handy because I never had to use the Simatic Environment. Since I moved jobs most of my work these days is with RS and TI and havent worked a Siemens project in ages.

Had anyone a link or a copy of this program?

Hi Francie.

That sounds extremely interesting. I have never heard about such a functionality from Microsoft Word.
There are 3rd party suppliers of S7 compatible programming software.
IBH, MHJ and Deltalogic (maybe there are others). But I havent heard that it should be possible from Word.

If this is something new, I would also be interested to hear about it.

Are you possibly talking about data, and not code ?
For data there are many more possibilities.

Hi Jesper,

Like I said its a while since I've used it, but i used it to generate code FCs, DBs etc.There was some sort of a macro used to download the code. If I remember correctly the only thing you needed to use Simatic Manager was for creating a blank project...oh and h/w config... which I've been told is now no longer required with the new version

So you did have STEP7 installed on the same PC ?
I think I have heard about some kind of automated downloads, via STEP7 that is. And to add STL code to the project can be done by manipulating the socalled source files from outside STEP7. I can imagine that maybe there exists a product that assembles this functionality in a complete package.

Still, to me it sounds a bit dangerous to manipulate code from outside STEP7. What happens with the symbols for example ?

If there is a new product out there for STEP7 I am interested in knowing about it.