VLC ActiveX Plugin Wonderware InTouch

EivindE

I am trying to integrate a RTSP video stream into a Wonderware InTouch application, without success. The computer is running a 64 bit Windows 10 version. When installing the 64 bit version of VLC player, the ActiveX plugin is not even visible in the list of ActiveX plugins in WindowMaker. If I install the 32 bit version of VLC, I can add the ActiveX plugin in my InTouch application, but no commands to the plugin works (such as setting MRL/URL, set visibility). I use InTouch 2014 R2, but have also tried with InTouch 2020 with same result.

Has anyone had this issue before and found a solution? Any good tips are highly appreciated.

You might have to put some controls for the VLC in an "On Show" script on the window.
These are some of the controls I use with my Excel Active X.
It took some research to find these controls.

#Spreadsheet1.ActiveSheet.Protection.Enabled = 0;
#Spreadsheet1.AllowPropertyToolBox = 0;
#Spreadsheet1.DisplayPropertyToolBox = 0;
#Spreadsheet1.DisplayToolBar = 0;
{#Spreadsheet1.DisplayColHeaders = 1;}
{#Spreadsheet1.DisplayRowHeaders = 1;}
#Spreadsheet1.DisplayTitleBar = 0;
#Spreadsheet1.EnableEvents = 1;
#Spreadsheet1.AutoFit = 1;
#Spreadsheet1.ScreenUpdating = 1;

#Spreadsheet1.CSVURL = V10-FileReaderPath;
#Spreadsheet1.AutoFit = 1;
#Spreadsheet1.ActiveSheet.Protection.Enabled = 0;

You might look here:
https://wiki.videolan.org/ActiveX/
or
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C2CHBF_enUS840SG842&sxsrf=ALeKk01bnA7I2nsn_5h3TeIETTwrFu0HnA%3A1609267700775&ei=9HnrX4jfLrfA0PEP-u-FkA4&q=vlc+activex+plugin&oq=vlc+active&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgAMgUIABDJAzICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAOgQIIxAnOgQIABBDOg4ILhCxAxCDARDHARCjAjoLCC4QsQMQxwEQowI6CAgAEMkDEJECOgUIABCxAzoFCC4QsQM6CAgAELEDEIMBOgoIABCxAxDJAxBDOggIABCxAxDJA1Dpx21Y79dtYM3rbWgAcAF4AIABf4gBtQaSAQM4LjKYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6wAEB&sclient=psy-ab

Last edited:
Just installing an ActiveX does not mean it will show-up in WW. On the WW Special/ActiveX you can search for an ActiveX file so you can then use it.
I have had to do that before to use a freeware PDF viewer. I think it has to do with the installer not registering the file as an ActiveX.
Hope that helps.

For future reference I managed to get a rtsp stream to work in inTouch:
  • Install the 32bit version of VLC
  • Register de VLC Activex in Windows
  • Install the VLC Activex in Intouch
  • Add the ActiveX control to the screen
  • Add line in a script: #VLCPlugin1.playlist.Add ("rtsp://x.x.x.x/stream1");
  • Add line in a script: #VLCPlugin1.playlist.play();