WER Industries / Emerson

controlled

Lifetime Supporting Member
A few weeks ago I posted about looking for an installation manual for an obsolete ABB ACS600 drive. In a matter of days DickDV emailed me a copy. Just want to say this is a great site.

Now for my next question. I have a slitter / rewinder that was built in 1977 in the USA that has never been approved by any inspection authority (CSA, UL) The machine was just moved to a new plant, so in order to energize the machine, I have to get it approved first. The CSA inspector needs to see a manual for the DC drive before he will put his sticker on it. I have searched the internet, but the only thing I can find is a whole list of companies that repaired drives, but noone who can tell me where to find a manual.

The manual i need is from WER Industries/Emerson Electric. The drive model number is 1310-8001. The drive has a sticker on it showing it was built in 1977.

If anyone can help me locate a manual I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Derek

Back in those days, WER was located in Lockport NY. They were acquired by Emerson which was later acquired by Reliance which in turn was acquired by Rockwell. Contact your local Allen Bradley rep, ask to talk with their oldest drives salesman and hope he's old enough and has a good memory.

That's such an old drive that there is a good chance the manual was never converted to a pdf file. You might need to talk to one of those repair outfits to see if they will sell you a paper copy.

Steve Bailey said:
Back in those days, WER was located in Lockport NY. They were acquired by Emerson which was later acquired by Reliance which in turn was acquired by Rockwell. Contact your local Allen Bradley rep, ask to talk with their oldest drives salesman and hope he's old enough and has a good memory.

That's such an old drive that there is a good chance the manual was never converted to a pdf file. You might need to talk to one of those repair outfits to see if they will sell you a paper copy.

Emerson nowadays is "Control Techniques" as far as VFDs and such.

, but noone who can tell me where to find a manual.

The manual i need is from WER Industries/Emerson Electric. The drive model number is 1310-8001. The drive has a sticker on it showing it was built in 1977.

If anyone can help me locate a manual I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Derek

Derek, I may have a manual for that system, I did some retrofits on machines in the 90's that used those old units. It may take a couple of days to actually look. Good luck on the PSHSR for that line though, I would plan on extensive updates to the safety system for the drive interface

Unless this is over 500hp or is extremely customized for the application, I would give serious consideration to modernizing the drive. Trying to setup, troubleshoot, and tune those old analog drives is akin to torture compared with the new digital drives. And, a DC drive is rather cheap, compared to an AC drive of the same rating. Plus, you can reuse much of the old hardware from the old system----the M contactor, the brake resistors, the input transformer or reactors, the gauges.

Might want to think about this option.

Derek, I may have a manual for that system, I did some retrofits on machines in the 90's that used those old units. It may take a couple of days to actually look. Good luck on the PSHSR for that line though, I would plan on extensive updates to the safety system for the drive interface

Thanks, this thread is a year old, and I managed to get a copy of the manual from control tecniques. After that, the machine passed inspection with no problems,