What exactly does a PLC Programmer do?

BlackJack21

I'm trying to figure out if going for a BSEE and specializing in PLC's is the right choice for me. Money isn't a big factor for me, it's the everyday job duties that I'm interested in finding out. In a couple of months (May) I will have an Associate's Degree in Electrical Maintenance, Associate's in Utility Maintenance, and an Advanced Associate's in Electrical Technology. If anyone could let me in on some everyday pros/cons/perks/duties/whatever....that would be great.

Thanks
Black Jack 21

From what I have seen, there are three levels of people that work on PLCs.

First, you have the Integrator. They take a customer specification and turn it into reality. This person needs to know everything since they will be designing the system, building the panels, programming the PLC, and debugging the final project. They also end up travelling to customer sites a lot. So if you like a challenge and travelling, this is for you.

Second, is the high end user. This person will optimize existing machines and build their own when needed. Although the machines they build will usually be simpler then the large integrator built machines. This is where I consider myself. I spend my days trying to squeeze out every bit of efficiency out of a machine while making it more reliable, safer, and easier for the operator to run. The negative is that you are always producing charts and reports to explain what you are doing, and why you need money, to people that know very little about programming or machines in general.

Third, is the debugger. This person logs on to the PLC to try to figure out why the machine is not doing what it used to do. They may make small changes to smooth out the rough areas in the program, but that is all. Most of the time they are just blindly forcing on outputs and toggling bits until they either hurt someone, break something, or "fix" the machine. You don't want to be this guy.

Well, that is a start....

Last edited:
From what I have seen, there are three levels of people that work on PLCs.

First, you have the Integrator. They take a customer specification and turn it into reality. This person needs to know everything since they will be designing the system, building the panels, programming the PLC, and debugging the final project. They also end up travelling to customer sites a lot. So if you like a challenge and travelling, this is for you.

Second, is the high end user. This person will optimize existing machines and build their own when needed. Although the machines they build will usually be simpler then the large integrator built machines. This is where I consider myself. I spend my days trying to squeeze out every bit of efficiency out of a machine while making it more reliable, safer, and easier for the operator to run. The negative is that you are always producing charts and reports to explain what you are doing, and why you need money, to people that know very little about programming or machines in general.

Third, is the debugger. This person logs on to the PLC to try to figure out why the machine is not doing what it used to do. They may make small changes to smooth out the rough areas in the program, but that is all. Most of the time they are just blindly forcing on outputs and toggling bits until they either hurt someone, break something, or "fix" tha machine. You don't want to be this guy.

Well, that is a start....

Don't you mean this person is deBUBBA? as discussed at length on the "OT 2am strangest call out" post. I like to think of myself as falling into group two and spend a lot of my time overcoming resistance to change by "Bubbas" that have been promoted to production supervisor!!!

For sure, I DO NOT want to be a "BUBBA"! I like the challenge of making something new, but as much as that, I like optimizing existing code as well.

I'm a programmer for a German specialized machine builder.
I normally get a mechanical layout from the machine designer and a sequence diagram with listed functions and quality milestones.
I will then assist our eplan designer to design the most reliable and cost effective control circuit and spec. the equipment needed to do the job.
While the electricians are installing all the equipment and wiring the machine, the real fun starts. Developing and coding the controls solution for the machine.
This includes the user interfaces and databases if needed.
Once the base program is written I will do the initial start-up and parametrising of all the equipment and set-up the bus systems.
Then optimize and fault find the initial program to have a well running machine.
Then I will install the machine along with one of my colleges from the mechanical side.
This all makes the job interesting and gives you a chance to see the world, although you are constantly under pressure to meet delivery dates and find automation solutions for mechanical problems.

Here we go again.

I'm trying to figure out if going for a BSEE and specializing in PLC's is the right choice for me.
I would concentrate on learning the physics and math required for the physics so you understand the machines.

The PLC is just a tool. It is like a hammer. What do you do when the hammer is replaced by a nail gun? Your hammer skills are not needed.

Don't concentrate on learning tools as they will change. Concentrate on learning 'forever' knowledge that won't change.

Peter is right about programming skills getting outdated. An estimate I believe for general computer programming is that you need to spend 20% of your time just keeping up to date.

That said, PLCs change more slowly than programming in general. We sell a lot of this ISaGRAF 3.x programming tool, http://www.icpdas-usa.com/products.php?PID=3173 presently, and it is a Win 3.1 application!

PLCs are great for fast and reliable programming. Not great for things like database connectivity and graphical user interfaces.

"What exactly does a PLC programmer do ?"

If they aren't "savvy", they'll usually bend over backwards, and still get screwed in the ar$e !!

Much better to get the skills so that you can do more than "program a PLC", then you become an "expert", or a "System Integrator".

There is so much more to this game than being able to program a PLC, a company I once worked for would have trained monkeys to do it if they could have achieved it.

I have programmed a lot of PLCs, and have spent long hours commissioning the projects that I wrote. I made sure I spent the time wisely, learning as much as I could about the processes my code was controlling.

my 2c

I'll give you guys a little back round on my working history. Even though it can be argued to not matter. 7 years in the ARMY active duty as a MLRS Crew member/Track Commander (Multiple Launch Rocket System). Then onto 6 years in a Manufacturing job operating PLC driven systems. Then a wake up moment of having a overly strong need to figure out this magical thing called PLC!!! Now comes college. I know I'm not going to know everything, doesn't mean I have to stop trying! All this input is awesome and it's all helping. I'm working my way through the post (http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=44253) and will have my input myself tomorrow. Thanks again. And keep it coming!

What Peter said. Learn how thing work, tools (like PLC) comes and go.

A BS opens a lot of doors; grad school, management, or another career path. I also recommend you look at Chemical Engineering where you get exposure to process control, PID, and multivariable advanced control.

I also recommend you look at Chemical Engineering where you get exposure to process control, PID, and multivariable advanced control.
That is what the Doug Cooper "the control guru" does but I think he advises and consults on the side.
www.controlguru.com.
He also has his own company and sells Control Station which is an auto tuning software package.

Edit, I should add that you don't need a chem eng degree to do multivariable control however, if you want to work in oil and gas a chemical engineer degree is handy.

I like machine control. People call me up with all sorts of applicatins almost every day. It never gets boring because there is always something new. The questions are rarely learning the motion controller but rather what algorithms are required and how the motion controller will implement them.

Another Edit. See:
Siemens S7200 PID control with dead time
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=61791
In this application it doesn't make much difference what PLC you use. That part is insignficant compared to the major problems of handling the non-linearity of a pH control system and the dead time. I don't care how well you know your particular PLC, if you don't know how to solve the problem with any PLC you are going to fail. The PLC is just a tool. The knowledge of how to approach problems is the key to success.

Last edited: