S7-1200 and Chlorine and PH levels

DLMUK

Hi,

I am designing a system for a swimming pool, I am looking for a chlorine sensor and pH level sensor.

Can anybody suggest sensors which can be connected to a S7-1200?

Thanks

Is this a commercial size pool?

There are products specific for the pool industry. Most will have 4-20mA outputs. The biggest difference is cost and reliability... some chlorine sensors require a lot of calibration and maintenance.

I haven't done much in the pool segment but in water treatment, Prominent make some good products. I believe they also have gear specifically designed for swimming pools.

Otherwise, Evoqua (used to be Wallace & Tiernan) are very good but also expensive.

Or the Crius from Process Instruments. More cost effective, we had some issues the transmitters not being very robust, but i feel that was partly due to employing fat fisted Operators...

https://www.processinstruments.co.uk/instrument-controllers/crius/

Endress & Hauser are some of the most reliable I have ever come across, used them on many systems, compared to ABB & others I have come across they out perform & reliability is second to none. In one plant we had over 200 instruments from conductivity to level & pressure a number of them were of other makes, due to a number of failures we replaced them with E&H, as far as I can remember we only had 3 failures over a 20 year period of the E&H, two of those were due to corrosion of the terminals (very hot, wet & corrosive environment) the other was a board failure.

Just a thought.... have you thought about changing over to a salt system?, I did and will never go back, its a lot cheaper, its so much better for your skin and easy to maintain

Not a bad question...

It uses the salt through an a cell and generates the chlorine

Some reading material https://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/pools/salt-water-chlorination

The main things is keep the PPM around 4000, I use about 15 bags of salt when I open the pool in the spring and a few during the summer, I tied the control panel power to my timer so it would only run when the filters were running, its a low level of salt and a low level of chlorine so easy on the skin and eyes

Edit I also found the water clarity was better... nothing like diving into a pool that was perfect

Last edited: