VMWare USB Issues!

lostcontrol

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

I have just finally migrated to VMWare with my new machine, but am having a few late teething issues with USB devices.

When I 1st installed, everything was fine, and could connect USB devices no problem etc.
Now when I try and connect the USB device, I am getting a 'VMWare USB Arbitrator returned error code 4'

I have googled and searched the VMWare communities, but nothing solid to explain what causes this, and what the remedy is.

Has anyone experienced something similar before?

The USB works fine & is visible in the host, and VMWare sees it, but when I try to connect, I get the arbitrator 4 error.

It is almost like the host is not releasing the USB to the guest? o_O

I am using VM Player 3.01, and Win 7-64bit, on IBM Thinkpad W510.

I just tried with 2.5.3, and same issue. :confused:

The PITA, is that it did work, and I am not sure if it is to do with extra USB device installs (Dock, keyboard, mouse etc), or the host machine/config files.

Seems to be working fine on my older XP-SP3 host, and a colleagues Win 7-64.

There are a few discussions, but nothing that details what causes the error, & how to fix it. There is one not about registry entries, but not what actually is required...

This is from the log file, I wonder if the 3mS is to short, or something in my host is preventing VM Player disconnecting it?
Apr 10 11:05:55.723: vmx| Msg_Hint: msg.usb.generic.stopDevice (sent)
Apr 10 11:05:55.723: vmx| A USB device is about to be unplugged from the host and connected to this virtual machine. It will first be stopped to enable safe removal. With some devices, the host may display the message "The device can now safely be removed."
Apr 10 11:05:55.723: vmx| ---------------------------------------
Apr 10 11:05:55.723: vmx| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:13 len:17
Apr 10 11:05:55.725: vmx| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:13 len:17
Apr 10 11:05:55.725: vmx| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:6 len:21
Apr 10 11:05:55.725: vmx| USBGA: Failed to connect device 900000203f0110c, error (4)
Apr 10 11:05:55.725: vmx| USBG: CONNREQ: Dequeued head request after 3 ms for [name:Hewlett-Packard\ Removable\ Disk vid:03f0 pid:110c path:1/9/2 speed:high family:storage]
Apr 10 11:05:55.725: vmx| Msg_Post: Warning
Apr 10 11:05:55.725: vmx| [msg.usb.connectFailed] The connection for the USB device "Hewlett-Packard Removable Disk" was unsuccessful. The VMware USB Arbitrator returned error code 4.

Last edited:
Take a look at this thread. It sounds like a lack-of-drivers issue.

Thanks rpoet, I have read that one already, but do not seem to have any issues in the host.
I cannot ascertain if that post refers to the host or the guest, but am assuming that it refers to the host, as since the VM cannot connect, there will be nothing in the guest?

Going to trial workstation to see if that makes a difference, somehow I don't think it will.
I wonder if it is a vmx file configuration thing, or registry?

Update, USB3

o_O

So I have 2 blue USB ports on the side, and a yellow on the back. It appears that the side ports are USB3, whereas the yellow is USB2.
I had been fighting with the side ports, as soon as I used the back port, everything worked as expected.
So there must be an issue with that VM does not recognise the USB3 too well.

Back to the VMWare communities now... and then to try and get all my comms to PLC's working so I can do some actual work... 🤞🏻

Fixed my Arbitrator Error 4 Issue!

Hi I'm a noob so bare with me here.

I'm actually not quite sure how I fixed this but for those interested I will detail my experience, perhaps something I did can help you too.

Two days ago I installed VMware Workstation 7 and Snow Leopard 10.6 on my XP running SP3. At first I appeared to have success but upon trying to connect my iphone I got error message re Arbitrator 4 error, could not find component on server etc...

Thinking it was my VMWare tools I figured out with help from threads how to mount my Darwin iso and run. Again, thought I had achieved success but no, same error.

The device was visible under VM->Removable Devices and it connected fine to the host. It even disconnected from the host when I selected connect. By now I was wondering if this is just a bug that has no solution yet (though some people appear to have found solutions none worked for me).

In desperation I thought, well I'll test my printer, I can see that device too. Same error, however this time I got a message about icuin36.dll which I of course downloaded and moved to the appropriate folder (somewhere in the system32 file I believe, google it, thousands of hits).

I then tried to connect my device again, this cause my computer to crash and gave me the blue screen of death. :oops: I of course went into immediate panic mode as I use this computer for my work and was only able to backup selected files due to space restrictions.

Rebooted my computer, powered on my VM and tried again, no success. o_O Powered off VM, closed Workstation, reopened and powered on again, this time it prompts me to download 6 drivers (don't ask me what they were) which I did. Try again, was able to connect device successfully, however after disconnection it would not reconnect.

Power VM off and back on again. I next got a hint message about not being able to automatically connect to a device that has been previously connected and that I would have to manually connect. Clicked on the do not show again button and all is fine. When I plug my iphone in now it automatically connects to my XP, then in VM I can connect and disconnect it manually, over and over, it works perfectly. Voila, problem solved. :p

I have written this from the top of my head the day after so if I missed anything I apologise, but the meat of it is there and hopefully it will help another poor soul.

Good luck!

Note: It does take quite a while for my VM to pick up the connection so be patient, it might be an issue with my settings as things seem to run very slow (any ideas on that topic would be appreciated) in it but just in case, give it a minute or three to connect before you give up on it working.

Hi I'm a noob so bare with me here.

I'm actually not quite sure how I fixed this but for those interested I will detail my experience, perhaps something I did can help you too.

Two days ago I installed VMware Workstation 7 and Snow Leopard 10.6 on my XP running SP3. At first I appeared to have success but upon trying to connect my iphone I got error message re Arbitrator 4 error, could not find component on server etc...

Thinking it was my VMWare tools I figured out with help from threads how to mount my Darwin iso and run. Again, thought I had achieved success but no, same error.

The device was visible under VM->Removable Devices and it connected fine to the host. It even disconnected from the host when I selected connect. By now I was wondering if this is just a bug that has no solution yet (though some people appear to have found solutions none worked for me).

In desperation I thought, well I'll test my printer, I can see that device too. Same error, however this time I got a message about icuin36.dll which I of course downloaded and moved to the appropriate folder (somewhere in the system32 file I believe, google it, thousands of hits).

I then tried to connect my device again, this cause my computer to crash and gave me the blue screen of death. :oops: I of course went into immediate panic mode as I use this computer for my work and was only able to backup selected files due to space restrictions.

Rebooted my computer, powered on my VM and tried again, no success. o_O Powered off VM, closed Workstation, reopened and powered on again, this time it prompts me to download 6 drivers (don't ask me what they were) which I did. Try again, was able to connect device successfully, however after disconnection it would not reconnect.

Power VM off and back on again. I next got a hint message about not being able to automatically connect to a device that has been previously connected and that I would have to manually connect. Clicked on the do not show again button and all is fine. When I plug my iphone in now it automatically connects to my XP, then in VM I can connect and disconnect it manually, over and over, it works perfectly. Voila, problem solved. :p

I have written this from the top of my head the day after so if I missed anything I apologise, but the meat of it is there and hopefully it will help another poor soul.

Good luck!

Note: It does take quite a while for my VM to pick up the connection so be patient, it might be an issue with my settings as things seem to run very slow (any ideas on that topic would be appreciated) in it but just in case, give it a minute or three to connect before you give up on it working.

Hello Suevans,

This type of problem usually occurs when icuin36.dll is missing from your computer. This dll file can be downloaded from here.
http://dllcentral.com/icuin36.dll/download/
Download it and then extract the downloaded zip file to the Windows System32 folder, which is located in Windows Drive.