Ignition or FactoryTalk

Ignition is great but I don't recall if you can deploy only some screens or have access control based on panel/location. This isn't a big deterrent as you could VNC into an HMI from another location as well.

If I get the opportunity I'd work with Ignition over FactoryTalk.

Ignition fanboy here so I'll say Ignition, but...

Perspective/Vision is something you need to evaluate. Perspective is a different beast when it comes to GUI design and approach. Vision is tried and true and familiar. Perspective is the future, Vision won't get much more attention for features updates.

If you are all about PlantPAx then FactoryTalk I guess.

I've used both and will never willingly choose FTView again.

For 32 clients, the cost savings alone would be enough to send me to Ignition.

There are definitely ways to handle access control based on location in Ignition.

Rockwell salesman claims they can buy a one-time Factory Talk site license (no annual fee?) that will cover them for 10 years on upgrades?
They are planning on using thin client licenses....

After working with both products, I would highly recommend Ignition over FactoryTalk. The amount of bugs, inconsistent operation, and server reboots I have had to do to resolve problems over the last 10 years is mind-numbing with FactoryTalk. Ignition is much more stable in my experience, and is drastically cheaper when you're designing a large installation (20+ clients). Just my 2 cents.

Rockwell salesman claims they can buy a one-time Factory Talk site license (no annual fee?) that will cover them for 10 years on upgrades?
If for some reason you DO go that way, make absolutely sure you get that in writing, signed off by the highest ranking person at your salesman's company you can find. I would not trust that claim an inch.

ignition, all day any day

i agree, if you have worked with both, the answer will be clear

not even is the pricing better,

but i dont feel held back by ignition like i do FTView.

With Ignition, i can do anything i want.

If I am not mistaken you need a run time license on each machine for either of those
with that many machines that could get to be very expensive
I look else where No runtime license build and deploy as many machines as you want

https://ingeardrivers.com/

Ys it dose take some learning time in the beginning but it's worth it in the end

If I am not mistaken you need a run time license on each machine for either of those
with that many machines that could get to be very expensive
I look else where No runtime license build and deploy as many machines as you want

https://ingeardrivers.com/

Ys it dose take some learning time in the beginning but it's worth it in the end

With Ignition you only license the gateway (server), not the clients/sessions (runtimes).

A gateway license with unlimited clients is either $6,500 or $9,500, depending on whether you're going Vision or Perspective.

Obviously other modules are required as well, but the vision/perspective one is the only one that has any cost implication regarding the number of clients.

Ignition is great but I don't recall if you can deploy only some screens or have access control based on panel/location. This isn't a big deterrent as you could VNC into an HMI from another location as well.
I seem to remember from their training course that you can limit what is available to be used/seen from a specific terminal. As I remember it used a different type of variable (session??) to determine where the screens were being displayed to control what was shown.

To be fair, the way FactoryTalk limits the screens available is through not having a navigation button to some screen, which isn't that fancy either.

If you are all about PlantPAx then FactoryTalk I guess.

Have you used Flintium? Looking at it online it seems pretty close to the PlantPAX faceplates and elements. The only issue is Rockwell closing PlantPAX with 5.0. Give it another 3 years and PlantPAX is another DeltaV.

It's plainly visible that Ignition has software smarts and they're not in the PLC business or possibly interested, but putting a team of 3 or 4 guys together and creating an Ignition process library that would work across Rockwell, Siemens, potentially Schneider and even Beckhoff/Codesys would get an awful lot of people interested in moving away from these companies SCADA part of the DCS package. I really can't understand why they don't commit some of their R&D to it.

Rockwell salesman is probably assuming a TechConnect contract...

I seem to remember from their training course that you can limit what is available to be used/seen from a specific terminal. As I remember it used a different type of variable (session??) to determine where the screens were being displayed to control what was shown.

To be fair, the way FactoryTalk limits the screens available is through not having a navigation button to some screen, which isn't that fancy either.

Yeah, last time I had Ignition it was version 7.9 and I went to a conference when v8 was coming out and edge HMIs were starting to be talked about.

I'd hope they came up with something. That was the only thing that was on the "honor" system for what I was using. So we ran the risk of a "prankster" potentially stopping a system randomly to mess with people. (It never happened as far as I know but still a concern of mine.)

Edit-
Also, it was still Java based and needed Java RunTime. I remember a couple of windows updates that made that an issue. I think its HTML5 now but even not using Ignition for so long I remember it being WAY better than FTME/FTSE.

Last edited: