Help with old WinCC R4 License (Softnet-PG)

antsrealm

Hi,

I'm not a siemens expert but we recently converted an old siemens PC into a virtual machine so we could run it on modern hardware. It was just running WinCC R4 with the control centre HMI.

This was using profibus to communicate so we changed it to use TCP/IP and the onboard ethernet port. This was all working fine but I get a license pop up every ten minutes saying I dont have the following license.

Softnet-PG IE Windoes 98, NT 4.0
Order # 6GK1704-1PW30-3AA0

I'm not sure if that relates to the use of the TCP/IP comms driver or if I accidentally activated some functionality I dont need. This is ruunning on windows NT and uses AuthorSW for the licenses. It has about 7 licenses active including the 64K powertags and the 505 TCP/IP license etc.

Can someone give me some advice on why this has started poping up and maybe what license I need to make it go away.

Thanks.

You changed to ethernet
You don’t have a license for it. You have the profibus license
That’s the way it works

I thought that was the case. So which license do I need. What is the name of the license so I can see if we have it somewhere. I am trying to establish what I need that I am currently missing.

If the profibus license is A9SS5290 then what is the appropriate license for the TCP/IP?

I have the Interf. 505 TCP/IP license is that not the correct one?

Thanks,

Here's the problem. Your version of SOFTNET-PG IE is V3.x is compatible with Windows NT. Anything you try to buy today will not be. Siemens dropped the SOFTNET-XX IE license requirement for S7 with WinCC later on. The required license is in fact part# 6GK1704-1PW30-3AA0, which is unavailable unless you try ebay etc.

Recommendation: upgrade!

I've done upgrades from WinCC V4 through to WinCC V7.x, and WinCC Professional V15.1 (TIA Portal), but can also upgrade to V17.