OT: Overly Persistent Sales People

sparky66

Earlier in the year, I received a series of 4 emails from a salesperson from an industrial camera company. These went to my work email. I don't use cameras, not sure where he got my name. I ignored each one, but each subsequent email seemed to express disappointment that I didn't respond. There was not an "unsubscribe" option, only to respond back. I feel I am under no obligation to respond to these emails. So now, another person from the same company has started doing the same thing. 2 emails so far. If I respond, it will be with a lecture about their sales practices. Any opinions?

FYI-I have nothing against sales people. My dad was one, and if someone cold-called(in person) at work, and if the product had any possible use in my facility, I would take the time to talk to them.

This! I often dread having to download a manual off of their site.

Personally, I don't think you are obligated to answer these. But a simple response email informing them that you are not interested in what they are offering, and that the equipment has no use within your plant might be enough to get off their list. However they received your address, you became a potential sale. They most likely don't have any idea what your process is, and until they do, you will always be a potential sale.

Last edited:
The spam solicitations, calls & emails I get mostly are Cognex.

Go to their website & download one datasheet and you are a target now. They got so bad I won't spec their products in jobs anymore. And DO NOT enter one of their contests for a free system.

I told my Keyence rep that they are right there with the car warranty people. I log into the website (which you have to if you wish to download manuals) and for the next 2 weeks you get calls and emails. :)

When someone is persistent to the point of annoying, I sign them up for a bunch of mailing lists.

Back when we used to get (physical) junk mail that included a stamped reply envelope, I would take my other junk mail and put it in these envelopes and mail it back.

Neither of these helped all that much, but I felt better.

OG

Ya'll are too passive aggressive. Just fire off a nasty-gram reply at the first annoyance. I mean you can be blunt without being too rude. Then filter their mail server to spam if they persist (Talking to you, Dell Business Systems).

I just send them f*** off! Seems to work. They have really hard skins you know.

Earlier in the year, I received a series of 4 emails from a salesperson from an industrial camera company. These went to my work email. I don't use cameras, not sure where he got my name. I ignored each one, but each subsequent email seemed to express disappointment that I didn't respond. There was not an "unsubscribe" option, only to respond back. I feel I am under no obligation to respond to these emails. So now, another person from the same company has started doing the same thing. 2 emails so far. If I respond, it will be with a lecture about their sales practices. Any opinions?

FYI-I have nothing against sales people. My dad was one, and if someone cold-called(in person) at work, and if the product had any possible use in my facility, I would take the time to talk to them.

I have this with all sorts of people. Usually reply to the second email with:

"I already know of these products. I will get in touch with you if and when I need them. Please stop sending me emails like this.
Should I receive another unsolicited email, I will get IT to blacklist your company's domain from our email server. Further, I can request you to be blacklisted from procurement should this harassment continue.

Have a great day."

Another reason I like g-mail.... add them to your spam and they go to spam

I guess I am a sales person (not very good) but I only send one email and thats asking how we did after a purchase and if they can leave a review, I get lot of calls and email from my competitors and I do read them just because I want to see what they are doing

I have replied in the past and think you should do the same... just try telling them the truth

"Sorry but I dont use cameras but if I am ever in need of one I will give you a call, now please take me off your list as I dont have spare time to talk about something I dont have a need for."

I wonder if all camera salespeople are actually just big Monty Python fans.

Is your uh, is your firm interested in... photography, ay? "Photographs, ay", he asked him knowingly?