Using MODBUS TCP for connecting to Siemens S7-1200 PLC

arbj

Hi All,

I have a closed loop stepper motor (Nanotec make), https://en.nanotec.com/products/2512-pd4-e601l42-e-65-4.

This uses MODBUS TCP for interfacing to host devices. I would like to connect this to Siemens S7-1200 PLC via MODBUS TCP. According to the manufacturer, the S7-1200 PLC can use MODBUS TCP to connect to the motor.

The Siemens S7-1200 PLC in question supports PROFINET, but I am not sure about MODBUS TCP.

My question(s) is

1. Do all S7-1200 PLCs with PROFINET support MODBUS TCP ?
2. Are there any limitations with this type of connection as opposed to PROFINET connection??
3. Is there any tradeoff when using MODBUS TCP??

I could buy a PROFINET interfaced motor, however they seem to be few in number, compared to MODBUS TCP or EtherNet IP. It will be a waste for me if the motor is unusable on a PROFINET device, as most of my customers use EtherNet IP.

Thanks
nm

Re:

Thanks for the post. I need to create MB_SERVER and MB_CLIENT connections for exchanging data. Is this supported on earlier versions of the S7-1200 CPU?? Unfortunately I do not know which version my customer is using.

thanks
nm

Thanks for the post. I need to create MB_SERVER and MB_CLIENT connections for exchanging data. Is this supported on earlier versions of the S7-1200 CPU?? Unfortunately I do not know which version my customer is using.

thanks
nm

You can test it in Portal by creating PLCs with different FW versions.

That said, I'm pretty sure it's been supported for a while. Maybe not V1, but it definitely isn't a new feature.

As for tradeoffs and limitations: Modbus TCP is generally slower update (maybe 100's of ms instead of 2 or 4ms), but that's often OK. Modbus TCP comms are defined in software, whereas PN is defined in HW. It definitely works though.