VM help please...

Code Blagger

Hi guys. I us e4 different versions of logix at the moment, all was well until today when I've had to uninstall 1 version to allow me to use another I needed to download. I need to start using vm's.

I've donwloaded VM ware workstation pro 16, and I've just purchased a Windows 10 pro licence key.
Furthermore, I've got some questions.

1. Every time I wish to create a new VM do I have to build a windows machine from my key inside first or is there a quicker way? It's just taken me a fair while to build 6 VMs you see.

2. How do I now put different versions of logix onto each of them? Do I treat it like a normal pc and download the software I want, rehost my Rockwell licences from my host machine to the vm, let it download then take a snapshot? Then rehost my Rockwell licences to the next VM and repeat the process for all the versions I require?

ETA:

Just noticed the clone function. I've cloned my original bare Windows 10 VM for future software additions.
I've hosted them all on a 1TB external SSD, but it keeps warning me I could lose data. Should I put them all onto separate HDD's?

Sorry if these are stupid questions I'm a fairly confused and this is my first time using VMSs.

Last edited:
A VM is essentially its own PC. Technically it needs its own licenses, 3 VMs 3 licenses for windows.. TECHNICALLY. But in practice Microsoft will to really do anything if you use the same license. Just may find occasionally one dies and becomes unactivated. Are whatever versions your using somehow incompatible? Most have multiple versions of Logix on one system. Now VMs to keep Logix, Step7, etc. separate aren't unheard of as sometimes they don't play nice.

Hi guys. I us e4 different versions of logix at the moment, all was well until today when I've had to uninstall 1 version to allow me to use another I needed to download. I need to start using vm's.

I'm using RS Logix 20.014, RS Studio 27.00, and RS Sudio 32.03. Add in RSNetworx 27.01, RSLogix 500 .. V12 maybe? Plus RSLinx and Factorytalk Linx. If you load them in oldest to newest, the newer versions tend to leave the older versions operational.
The exception for this is License manager. If you need a newer version of the Factorytalk License manager, load it first.

As for the VM questions, sorry - I can't help. We have an IT department that puts Server 2008, 2012, 2016, etc on all of our VMs ... and it causes some issues with Rockwell software. Rockwell seems to like Win10

We have our licenses loaded onto a separate license server VM. It allows for many more people to access the licenses than we physically have ... we just have to take turns! I'm sure that there was a bunch more setup that had to happen, but someone else did it.

We *NEVER* upgrade, uninstall, etc Rockwell software. It takes forever and ... in my experience, seldom works right when you are done. We start with a new VM with all of the latest patches and drivers. Then we load the correct software into it, in the order described above. It takes about 2 days to load the software, test it to verify it operates correctly, and then document what is loaded on the VM. We normally have 3 programming VMs, updated different weeks in case we have problems. Plus at least one laptop loaded with the latest software in case the network is not available. But then again .. I'm a bit paranoid :D

Last edited:
What I do is make one VM that's 'bare' and ready to have software installed onto it. Save that as a copy somewhere. Then make as many copies that I need based off of that first VM. I use one VM as my license server for AB products. One for RS500, Studio 5000 and FTVSME. A few for different versions of FTVSE. One for Connected Components Workbench only. This method means that you do need to have the license server VM running whenever you have any of the other VMs with the AB software running, but that shouldn't be a problem so long as your PC has the RAM, and HD space to do so.

I make copies of VMs by copying the folder that contains the VM files. So my first copy and paste will be the VM with only the OS installed. I will rename the that folder Win 10 clean. then I will copy and paste another copy of the folder and rename it to describe the use, such as Win 10 With Rockwell. I will then open that copy by double clicking the .VMX icon in the created folder. I will also rename the VM in the VMware Library. Then install the software I need.
VM Library.jpg

The first time you open the copied VM. VMware will ask you if you copied it or moved it. Always answer moved it. If you answer copied VMware will change several settings such as HD serial number. This will invalidate your windows activation.

May be moving away from the subject but Just a thought regarding the clone the hdd to a ssd would the Rockwell licenses still be active on the new ssd ? Or the Siemens?
Has anyone done this before and does the license have to be activated

Last edited:
I make a VM. install Wimdows and then install all the basics:
RSLinx
FTS & FTAM
Drivers in RSLinx
PDF printer
Hex editor
Acrobat reader
Office clone

Then, as Robobob, I close the VM and make copies of the folder, name each the version

Then open each one, tell VMWare you MOVED the file, not COPIED it, and install RSL/S5K

All the VM's recognize the licenses on my HASP dongle for RSLogix5000 Full, Architect & RSLinx.

EDIT: also a copy of each on a 2T USB drive to carry for laptops and in case I am at a customers office.

Last edited:
I make copies of VMs by copying the folder that contains the VM files. So my first copy and paste will be the VM with only the OS installed. I will rename the that folder Win 10 clean. then I will copy and paste another copy of the folder and rename it to describe the use, such as Win 10 With Rockwell. I will then open that copy by double clicking the .VMX icon in the created folder. I will also rename the VM in the VMware Library. Then install the software I need.
View attachment 57368

The first time you open the copied VM. VMware will ask you if you copied it or moved it. Always answer moved it. If you answer copied VMware will change several settings such as HD serial number. This will invalidate your windows activation.

That is an easy way to do it...

Thank goodness for large TB hard drives !!

Having projects open in different VMs just makes it a tad harder to copy/paste from one program to another in a different VM.

I cannot remember the detail on how to do it, but there is a way the VMs can be set to "share" the clipboard. I used that feature a while back and it worked perfectly.

For other things like import/export files, you can set up a VMShare folder on the host that is visible for read/write access to all VMs.

But I still don't like VMs, they just make me nervous....

To share in VMWare

Create a folder on the host computer, I always call it Share and put it in the Virtual Machines folder under Users

In each VM go to Settings/Options?Shared Folders and click Always Enable, then browse for the Share and check Map As Network Drive in Windows Guests and it will show up as a drive in Folders

Keep all projects in the share and they can be accessed from the host and other VM's

Keep all projects in the share and they can be accessed from the host and other VM's

I'll add that is where I keep my software "installers" as well, I'm not downloading to each vm or copying to each vm.

As for licenses if its rockwell turn your host into a license server and setup a network connection to host and vm.