power wire size for 10hp motor

joaco1993

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone !

A multiconductor wire 4x2,5mm2 would be ok ?

Normally a 10hp - 400V motor would pull 16-17A

A 4x2,5mm2 wire could carry around 21-22A according to many manufacturers,

Considering the wire will be on open strays, at open space and next to other small conductors, length of 30m max.

I know a wire of 4x4mm2 would be better,

But would 4x2,5 be a problem ?

The cable is copper and PVC

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't know the specs off the top of my head, but usually the mfg of any motor would recommend power cable size in their manual, no? Some would even sell the correct cable to use?

Hi, good morning!

Section 430 of the NEC covers motors. There are tables for FLA, types of motors and references to other tables for the correct conductor size based on the parameters I listed above.
It may also be that you're installing AC power cables in a tray that has analog and 24 VDC. There are many considerations to take into account when one mixes cable types and voltages. Hope this helps.