PanelView 800 invisible to RSLinx

Aloescher

I can't get RSLinx Classic to find my new PanelView 800.

Laptop IP: 192.168.10.30
Micro 820 2080-LC20-20AWB IP: 192.168.10.31
PanelView 2711R-T4T IP: 192.168.10.32

I can ping all 3. I found all 3 in WireShark. RSLinx finds my PLC (but won't allow me to change the IP anymore when I try to change in Module Configuration...weird). From out of the box, no matter what I tried, the PanelView won't show up in RSLinx.

I tried changing the IP addresses to 192.168.1.xxx (workaround from a different post on here) but I get an error in RSLinx in Module Configuration (see attached).

I'm currently trying to get a USB cable to connect to the HMI to factory reset it. We don't have a USB A to USB A cable in our building, apparently.

See attached files for screenshots of my communications setup.

Anyone have other ideas to try?

can't change ip address.jpg RSWho.jpg PV800 terminal comm setup.jpg PLC address in HMI CCW setup.jpg

Attachments

• wireshark arp plc and hmi.pdf
    156.3 KB · Views: 41
Not much coffee on board, using foggy recollections....

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community ! Your screenshots are excellent; thank you for including them.

It's been a few months since I dealt with one of those PanelView 800s. Mine was upgraded from a 5-year-old firmware PanelView Component to be equivalent to the modern PanelView 800, if I remember correctly. I dealt with it for only a few days on a customer site.

I'm not sure that the PanelView 800 and Connected Components Workbench software use RSLinx Classic for upload/download of the PanelView application; in general CCW uses "RSLinx Enterprise" = "FactoryTalk Linx", which can run in parallel with RSLinx Classic on your computer (you see it listed as a station in the RSLinx Classic / RSWho). It might not be labeled as RSLinx Enterprise/FactoryTalk Linx inside CCW or might look like an internal or purpose-built driver.

Many A-B devices show up in both RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise/FactoryTalk Linx, but maybe the PanelView 800 is excluded from being browsed with RSLinx Classic (or have its IP configuration set up using RSLinx Classic's access to the module configuration's IP object) to attempt to avoid confusion.

"If RSLinx Classic isn't the comms driver for download to the PV800 then why does CCW launch RSLinx Classic to browse a connection path" is a legit question... so maybe I'm completely wrong.

What exact buttons or menus do you click or select to get from CCW software to browse the connection to download to the PanelView 800 ?

Hi Ken, thanks for the reply. I follow the exact process listed in the PanelView 800 manual, applicable page is attached as a file to this post. In the manual, it shows the Ethernet/IP driver with the PV800 under it. This doesn't show up in CCW.

If I don't use RS Linx altogether, when I go into CCW, I select the communications tab on the top, then "configure driver", which brings you right to an RSLinx dialog box. So I set up an Ethernet/Ip driver there.

Then if I click on the PV800 program in the project box, on the main page there is a "connection path" button on the top right. I click that, and it brings up possible connections, but the PV800 isn't one of them.

download instructions Rockwell lit.jpg

Thanks... I was thoroughly wrong. Either my experience is too obsolete or I was mis-recollecting.

You say you can PING the PanelView 800 and "see it" in Wireshark, correct ?

When you use "ARP -a" after PINGing, what's the MAC ID corresponding with the PanelView 800s IP address ?

Have you tried hitting it with an HTTP connection from a Web browser ?

What about TCPing ? Port 44818 will tell you if EtherNet/IP is listening on the device, and is universally open on A-B EtherNet/IP devices like ControlLogix and VFDs and Ethernet I/O devices.

I'll look into your suggestions. In the meanwhile, I was able to export the PV app to usb then load into the PV800. I had the advanced settings setup to set (that's a mouthful :) ) the IP address and subnet at first load. When I ran the PV program, it talked just fine with the PLC. Still can't direct connect to the Laptop, but this'll get me going for now I guess. Thanks again for your assistance and suggestions.