Quick Question

CENTER

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone come across a 3 turn potentiometer that is panal mounted with either a 22 or 30 mm hole? I have been looking but nothing so far.
They are destroying the standard pot with the vernier dial.

Thanks you
can't configure a multi turn pot. I have done 6 other lines for the same company at a different local with a HMI but these guys want pots, they don't think the operators can comprehend a HMI.

what's the deal with just 3 turns
What about using as MOP ( Motor Operated Pot )
I have install many 10 turn pots with a 3 digit display they worked very well I don't get a call for them much not the PLC's are cheaper and easier to use.
it would seam to me that any multi turn pot would be confusing without some kind of a reference to know the position it was left at.

What can I tell you, The OEM 25 years ago used 3 turn pots. Just was looking for something that will hold up better.

We use multi turn pots on some of our simpler lines that do not have PLCs or HMIs. I have had good luck using standard multi-turn pots with a Vishay indicating knob. Or is this the vernier dial that they are destroying? Once we instructed our installers to install them properly, we have had better results. https://www.alliedelec.com/product/vishaydale/21a11b10/70404551/
I have not found multi turn pots in standard 22.5 or 30.5 mm mounting, just the single turn models.

This one here from Precision Sales looks interesting. I may have to try one of these. http://www.precisionsales.com/counting-dials/images/pdf/dc22.pdf

Last edited:
They do get replaced. I was looking for something as a one piece. Mainly the vernier key or the pot shaft slips. They constantly run them up and down 24/7 they are very tough on them. That is why they don't want a HMI. I have seen them using a knife on a key pad of a counter and management wonders why they don't hold up. If they don't want to do anything about it not much I can do. I just thought I may be able to inprove what they have.

0903191719.jpg 0217210947_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
From what you are describing as failure modes, it sounds like the operators are hitting the mechincal limits on the pots quite hard. It might be worth your while to investigate either bourns or clarostat to see if either offer a clutched variant. The only drawback will be a misalignment of the pot to the vernier if they really slam into a limit.

Another trick might be replacing the pot with a manual pulse generator talking to a HSC input on a PLC. Might get pricy on the PLC if you have a bunch of them to do, but if you're only looking at a couple it wouldn't be to bad.