Logix Designer needs multiple clicks before opening

Plug and Pray

Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing a strange issue with Logix Designer. I keep having to click on it multiple times before it opens. Most of the time, the cursor will just spin for a few seconds and then nothing happens.

This started within the last month and it's getting worse.

I've attached a screenshot from Event Viewer in case anyone might know what the error codes mean.

The computer in question is running Windows 7 and it is not connected to the internet.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Event Viewer Screenshot.jpg

Random ideas:

• Bit rot.
  • Maybe memory is failing; run a memory scan.
  • Make sure this system is backed up.
  • Ask The Google about [error code 0xc0000005]

Last edited:
Few random thoughts,

I notice there are several errors all within one minute. Do those each represent a launch, or double-click to open? Or was that all from one attempted launch?

Are you opening a project file to launch the software or are you opening using the start menu?

When you open Studio 5000 from the Start menu it begins with something called the Launcher. From there you select to open an existing file, create a new file, etc... From there it launches Logix Designer. Are you are opening using this method?

Have you tried going directly to the LogixDesigner.exe file and double-clicking there to launch? The path to the file is displayed in the error message.

Have you tried looking at settings for Compatibility Mode or using the "Run as administrator" option? These might be worth a try.

OG

If it is an instance not properly closed, or started, then:

Right click on the task bar, select Task Manager, Processes tab, then Show Process For All Users.

If is is running in the background when it didn't properly close or start that one is trying to restart.

I have seen anywhere from one instance to almost a dozen, click on each and then click End Task until they are all closed.

This also could be fixed by MacroSlofts famous "Did You Reboot the Computer" line if this is what is causing the problem

While the issue described in the linked technote is for a different issue, the ctrl-shift launch sometimes fixes Logix software startup problems.

Studio 5000 v28: Unable to select bit-level tag using the Find function

access level: TechConnect

If you are unable to access, this is the procedure outlined in the tech note:

Default Studio 5000 as follows

>> Go to C:/Program Files (x86)/Rockwell Software/Studio 5000/ENU/v28/bin (or the appropriate folder for the version in question if not v28)
>> Hold down the CTRL-SHIFT keys.
>> Right click LogixDesigner.exe and select Run as Administrator
>> Keep holding down the CTRL-SHIFT keys until the software opens.

Few random thoughts,

I notice there are several errors all within one minute. Do those each represent a launch, or double-click to open? Or was that all from one attempted launch?

Are you opening a project file to launch the software or are you opening using the start menu?

When you open Studio 5000 from the Start menu it begins with something called the Launcher. From there you select to open an existing file, create a new file, etc... From there it launches Logix Designer. Are you are opening using this method?

Have you tried going directly to the LogixDesigner.exe file and double-clicking there to launch? The path to the file is displayed in the error message.

Have you tried looking at settings for Compatibility Mode or using the "Run as administrator" option? These might be worth a try.

OG

Yes, the errors are close to each other because I kept clicking on my file until it opened.

I am double-clicking on files directly to open them.

I just enabled the "Run as administrator" option. I'll see if it makes a difference.

I created a RSLogix5000 Vx for each version I have as a shortcut in the SendTo folder. Now I right click on the .ACD and SentTo the correct version. Seems to be a lot happier and faster doing that.

Since checking the "Run as administrator" option yesterday, my programs are opening right away on the first click so it seems like that may have solved it.

Not sure why the problem started in the first place.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Since checking the "Run as administrator" option yesterday, my programs are opening right away on the first click so it seems like that may have solved it.

Not sure why the problem started in the first place.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Just for curiousity where do you find this option?

Just for curiousity where do you find this option?
When you navigate the Windows menu, when you reach the icon of the program you would like to launch as administrator (in this example the Logix Studio) instead of normal left-click if you right click the icon, you get the option of running this program as the administrator.

When you navigate the Windows menu, when you reach the icon of the program you would like to launch as administrator (in this example the Logix Studio) instead of normal left-click if you right click the icon, you get the option of running this program as the administrator.

If this needs to be done every time then right click on the shortcut & select Open File Location

When it pops up right click on the shortcut and click Properties, the the Compatibility tab.

You can check the box to Run this program as administrator if you are the only user on the computer, but I always click Change settings for all users under that, then check the administrator box, then OK twice.

This will start the program every time as administrator just by clicking on the shortcut.

Along with RSL/Studio I have had to do this with AD DirectSoft as when it opened it couldn't read a certain file to know what CPU's it programmed and showed an empty list.

How do you know what the correct version is from the .acd file?

Rick-click on the file and select Open With Notepad, or if that doesn't show Open With... the select Notepad from the popup.

Starting on line 6 it will have a list of all saves with the version number, look at the last dated entry for the current version.

Also, if you try to open it in a different version RSL/S5K will pop up the version and ask if you want to upgrade it if it is lower, or if it is higher show you need that higher version.