Interfacing with a ControlLogix 5571 PLC

namang

Hello,

I intend to connect to a ControlLogix 5571 PLC through a work station and program it. One way is to install the RSLinx driver and then use the Studio 5000 (RSLogix) to upload / download projects onto the PLC. Is there any other way for doing the same? Is it possible to connect to the PLC serially (through the USB) and run a client like PuTTY / serial consoles (minicom, picocom) on the workstation, and then interface with the PLC?

Also, I have one other query. What is the firmware that is running on the PLC? Is it VxWorks OS? Or some modification?
Is it possible to get a code of this firmware?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

The right answer is the first one. Use Studio 5000 and be done with it.

Yes, the Logix Processor base OS is VxWorks, but you cannot do anything with that directly, and you won't get the firmware code in a million years. That is not public domain.

Thank you for the reply.
So, connecting to it serially is not possible at all?
Is is this because of the firmware PLCs are running?

First, the L71 doesn't have a serial port. Only USB.
Second, it will come with a base Firmware, you need to load in the firmware you want, based on the revision of RSLogix you use.
It is NOT an open platform.