Splitting a word into integers

a dummy way to do this is create an AOI with 10 boolean input, and 1 int output:

in the AOI,
1) convert all 10 bool input to int using mov function (bool to int)
2) after conversion, bit 0 mul by 1, bit 1 mul by 2, bit 2 mul by 4......bit 9 mul by 512
3) sum all the result together and pass to int output

you can then map your bit 0-1, or bit 3-12 on the AOI, example if the AOI input bit0 and 1 both on, 1x1 + 1x2 you will get int value of 3, lets say if AOI all input is on, you will get 1x1 + 1x2 + 1x4 +......1x512 = 1024

Hope this help

There are no AOIs in a 1400, but you could shoehorn in something similar to one and make it nice and ugly and confusing.

I would do the brute force method JaxGTO described, but I am a brute force kind of guy. No need to get cute just for sake of "elegance".

Just use a BFH, and nail the bits where you want them, one by one with much greater efficiency that anything with a loop.

I would do the brute force method JaxGTO described, but I am a brute force kind of guy. No need to get cute just for sake of "elegance".

Even that loop approach was fuglier than I'd hoped for, and on top of that in a 1400 each "caller" would need to move things in and out of the N255 file "arguments," etc.

So yah, I agree, no point trying to put lipstick on the pig.

That said, for bit ranges that don't touch the sign bit e.g. ten bits 3-12:
AND srcint 8184 dstint
DIV dstint 8 dstint
Cleaner than brute force XIC/OTE; possibly faster per scan but not enough to matter (lose ~1.5μs on instructions; gain maybe 4-8μs for fewer rungs).

Here is a simple one, just and & shift.
Note: the way this works with the shift is it works on the same variable so the AND function for the bits 3-12 the result is shown as the result of the shift it's just the way it works, rather than shift & store it into another variable it works on the source variable.
Rung 1 just masks bits 0-1
Rung 2 masks the bits 3-12
Rung 3 shifts the 3-12 to 0-9

Masked move equv.png