Anyone take the UL508A MTR Qualification Exam yet?

What literature anybody recommends besides UL508A? Which chapters in UL508A will require more attention?

PaulB

Some answers are not in the standard or in the SA Supplement. You have to refer to them to get information from the tables. But you still have to know other things that are not in the documents provided by UL ... ie) Power, Amperage Voltage Calculations etc

theres so many of these test doing the rounds for the last few years, and 99% of them are idiotic. My favourite was one question that asked how far modbus tcp/ip cabling could communicate
a 10m
b 50m
c 100m
d to the moon

it turns out to the moon was not the correct answer because the person who created the exam obviously doesnt now what fibre or network switches are

it turns out to the moon was not the correct answer because the person who created the exam obviously doesnt now what fibre or network switches are

I think there would be significant logistical issues in actually maintaining a cable connection from Earth to the moon.

Your point is well made, however -- if what is wanted is the distance for a single (copper) cable, that is what should be asked. 'Cabling' is ambiguous.

One of the people here that took the class recently had these from the class. I'm going to look them over.

Covers.jpg

Deadline Extension & 508A Online Training

UL has created interactive courses to train on UL 508a.

Learning course code is: UL508ALearn.

Definitely worth checking out. It looks like completing this training resets your attempts on the MTR exam.

UL has created interactive courses to train on UL 508a.

Learning course code is: UL508ALearn.

Definitely worth checking out. It looks like completing this training resets your attempts on the MTR exam.
Thanks for posting this document. I thought I'd have to rush and get this done tomorrow.

What if you are taking the test and your internet connection goes down for hours?

I would imagine you would be SOL... It explicitly says at the beginning of the test that you have 4 hours, in one sitting to complete the test, if you leave the test at anytime you have to retake.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I am just getting started on studying for this exam. The guy who had taken the class and was to take the exam left the company so now it's on me.

Any advice on what materials to go over? My plan is to do the online course and read through the standard. Then I can take the test and see if I need to further review any items.

We build panels and ship them to the US. We still have to be inspected by a UL official.

Not that I think much of their standards or methods of working. They've got a monopoly on the market and they're screwing everyone for all its worth.

Which is what we should do with a lot of things..... yet we remain to bend over at every instance in this country o_O

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I am just getting started on studying for this exam. The guy who had taken the class and was to take the exam left the company so now it's on me.

Any advice on what materials to go over? My plan is to do the online course and read through the standard. Then I can take the test and see if I need to further review any items.
I took the online course and skimmed through the standard, passed the test (88.8%) first time. UL508ALEARN is the enrollment key for the course. Good luck, and read the questions very thoroughly, some are tricky.

I just actually happened to be looking at what it takes to get a panel listed (not just UL but by any NRTL). So does this mean, say, if I build a custom one-off control panel that I'm supposed to pay them this ridiculous fee to come tell me it won't kill anyone? And, for UL, I have to pay 10k a year to make the panels, and I have to pass a test on their standard, and I have to pay like 5k just to get a panel inspected and listed?