Upgrading RSLogix 5000

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to go about upgrading RSLogix 5000? For example upgrading from v17 to v20 with the same license. Do you call Rockwell to do this and does it cost money to upgrade?

Thanks in advance,

- Tex

as long as you have a license you can upgrade the firmware, software from there website.
I think some processors have compatibility issues with some hardware so research this before upgrading.

There is a compatibility matrix that can provide this info on the website.

If you do upgrading of firmware and software. I do not think it would cost you a thing except a headache of an experience.

Remember always do backups before you do the upgrade. You can always go back if you know how. Most firmware will let you go backwards up to a point. Know where these limits are too.

If you have a spare processor available, my preference is always to put the new firmware on the spare, load the program and then swap the processor. Much quicker going back if you need to. This approach works fine as long as there aren't other pieces of equipment that also need firmware updates... in that case, being able to do one of each device on the bench so you have the process ironed out is very valuable.

As Jim said, doing your homework before hand to check firmware compatibility is a must.

As long as you have the software license details you can download any version up to the version you purchased. Maintaining a techConnect contract is generally a requirement to be able to access all the newest versions

This is all correct except you will not have access to any newer versions than the one purchased unless you have a TechConnect contact with that serial number. This only applies to the Rockwell download / installer. If you have access to a v20 installer, then you will be able to install the updated version and it will activate.