Bootp-dhcp

Prayder

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to understand why every time I open the BOOTP-DHCP utility I constantly get a message saying:

Cannot find a valid IP Address
Application cannot continue
Fix network settings or connection and retry the applicaiton.

Prayder,

I am assuming that you mean Allen Bradley Bootp.
Before using the bootp program, you must setup the initial program config file using the bootp-dhcp server program.

Sorry, this is as far as I can take you. it has been several years since I used it.

regards,
james

I am trying to understand why every time I open the BOOTP-DHCP utility I constantly get a message saying:

Are you trying to run the program before you have a network connection established? (i.e. before you plug in the Ethernet cord?) If so then there's no IP address on the port and that might be why it's complaining.

I have used this software lots,

First of all remove all other devices and hardwire straight into the device you want to assign the ip address to,

then set your lan conneciton to dynamic.

Open the software and under options/tools or config not sure what its called, enter in the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and nothing else

then select browse and wait till you see your mac address...

then select the devices mac address and make sure in shows up in the bottom window

Next there are differences with certain devices....some you can just assign an i.p straight away, others you need to go back to your Lan ip settings then put your network card in the desired range i.e static ip addressing

if you want your device to be 192.168.1.2
subnet 255.255.255.0

your laptop will have to be 192.168.1.xx ''anything other than 2''

that should do the trick,

then go back to the boot/p software that is still running and disable the bootp etc

few other notes, the mac address can take a long time to pop up so be patient 5mins and it should be up by then

your device needs to be broadcasting its mac address so make sure thats happenig

also some laptops have firewalls that stop this software from working so dont be afraid to use another pc/laptop

I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread, but this was the only hit here for the OPs problem and I encountered it today too. I found that I had to disable all the Ethernet ports that were not in use and showed as Network Cable Unplugged in order to get the utility to start. Hopefully this helps someone.

You must have some type of active network connection talking to the laptop. It can be wired Ethernet or WiFi. Altho not both at the same time.

636036 - BootP will not open, "Network setup error. Cannot find valid IP address"
Access Level: TechConnect

• Try Plug the workstation computer directly into the device
  • Disable all other Ethernet adapters, including wireless Ethernet adapters

680084 - BOOTP-DHCP Server shows Network Setup Error
Access Level: TechConnect

• Check Local Area Connection is Enabled
  • Check Local Area Connection is not set to Obtain IP Address Automatically
  • Make sure you are using a crossover cable (if no Auto MDI-X support)

Regards,
George

Last edited:

Your network cable is not connected.