New member. GE Versamax software question...

timothy585

Supporting Member
New member here.

I'm going to a site tomorrow for the first time to work on a GE Versamax CPU005. The fault light is on, so I need to get online with it and check the errors.
I'm not familiar with GE very much, but I understand that I need Versapro software to get online with this particular older processor instead of a version of Proficy Machine Edition. Is that correct? My company has ME v7 thru v9.5, any luck any versions of ME work with a Versamax?

Thanks for any suggestions.

You should be able to get online and extract the program from the PLC. You won't get any rung comments or variable names, though. They aren't stored in that model PLC's memory. Your best hope will be that the customer has a backup copy of the project file. If they have a VersaPro project file you can import that into Proficy.

It is almost certain that you will need to download the project from Proficy to the PLC to get to a "Logic Equal" state. Even if you upload from the PLC into Proficy, it will show Logic not equal until you download what you just uploaded.

Steve,

Appreciate the quick response. From what the manual says, I will need to get online and clear the I/O fault table and PLC fault table. If, for some reason I can't get online, any chance this may will clear itself if I cycle power just to get the PLC system back online again?

I installed an older version of ME - 7.5, hope that gives me a chance to get into it. DB-9 straight cable on the 232 port seems to be what I need to connect.

Thanks again.

So, just to be clear, the ME 9.5 I have installed on my laptop WILL get online with a CPU05 and allow edits once I upload, do the conversion and download it again?

I do not have access to a copy of Versapro, so ME will be my only option.

I don't have a Versamax rack at my office to bench test, and the reason I'm trying to verify that ME 9.5 will work is that the location I'm going to is only accessible by helicopter and once I'm there, no support will be available to me...so I need to make sure I have what I need.

Thanks.

I have a CPUE05 here. I will program it with VersaPro later today and then verify that I can access the program using Proficy ME. Be aware that you won't get any rung comments or variable names out of the CPU. That information is not stored in the PLC in VersaMax.

Steve,

I really appreciate that. Here's the actual program that is having issues communicating via iNET radio(TCP/IP) back to an HMI PC running Kepserver and WW 10.0

The radio shot is good, and I can ping the processor all day long from the HMI PC, but no data is coming back. All green lights on the processor and ethernet port...and there seems to be quite a bit of activity on the port.

I'm trying to learn the data polling structure of the PLC today so I can test individual point/registers tomorrow when I'm at the HMI.

Thanks again.

I just confirmed that Proficy will be able to connect to and upload from a Versa Max CPUE05 that was programmed using Versa Pro.

I started a new project with Versa Pro, downloaded it to a CPUE05. Then I opened an existing project with Proficy Machine Edition, connected to the PLC and uploaded. In this case I did not have to download to achieve Logic Equal.