OT- Equipment feed

Jim G.

We have a new line being added in one of our facilities. In our switch gear, we have a spare 400A breaker which we were going to use to feed power to the line. The OEM spec's state they only need a 125A feed. Which would be the better approach? Replace the 400A breaker with a 125A or feed a sub-panel with 400A service and install a 125A breaker in that panel?
Is this a matter of opinion or are there some NEC guidelines to consider?

Thanks

Personally and from experience I would go the sub panel route. I have ran 400 and 200 amp sub panels for all our new lines. Not knowing what all your lines consist of but mine they are always wanting to add some other little piece to the puzzle and I have a sub panel to add more.

Personally and from experience I would go the sub panel route. I have ran 400 and 200 amp sub panels for all our new lines. Not knowing what all your lines consist of but mine they are always wanting to add some other little piece to the puzzle and I have a sub panel to add more.

+1
After a new line is installed and improvements start coming, having the extra power will come in handy.

Thanks for the input.

Will go with a sub-panel installation for the convenience of "while you're at it, can you add this?"

I agree with roxusa, it'll cost more upfront but it'll save money down the line when (not if) things need to be added.