GE 90-30 Time past 16 minutes

Heald33

I have a 90-30 system.* Once a timer gets to 16 minutes, it goes back to 10 and it never really times out.* I am using an HMI to set the timer.*I multiply that number and use it at the PV.* I thought maybe I needed to use a DWORD, but once I changed my register and all of my timers, and tested it, it still did the same thing.

Thoughts???

Which timer instruction and timebase are you using in the PLC? 90-30 timers are 16-bit entities which means the maximum value for the preset is +32767. If your timebase is seconds or tenths of a second, that's more than 16 minutes. If your timesbase is hundredths of a second or milliseconds, its not.
Also, you need to be aware that 90-30 timer instructions use three consecutive %R addresses. The first %R address is the accumulated value. That's what you see on the screen under the timer function block. The second is the preset and the third is a control word. Using any of them for some other purpose in your program will result in unanticipated results.

I am using TMR_TENTHS as my timer with DINT as my input from the HMI, and DWORD as my timer bits. I have already realigned my %R register to allow for the expansion of bits.

If timer max preset is 32767, then it don't make any difference if you use int or dint-variable, because it don't make timer time bigger.

32767 *0,1s = 3276seconds. Recheck if you have used registers twice on PLC.

The GE TMR instructions are designed to use 3 consecutive INT registers. Using DINT and DWORD data types may be causing you problems, or, as Steve indicated, if any of those registers are used anywhere else in the program.

From the GFK0467M 9030 Instruction Set manual:

Use care if you use the same address for the function’s PV (Preset Value) input
parameter as the second word in the three-word block. If PV is not a constant,
the PV input normally is addressed to a different memory location than the
second word. Some programmers choose to use the second word address for the
PV input, such as using %R0102 when the three-word block starts at %R0101.
This allows an application to change the PV while the timer or counter is
running. Applications can read the first (CV) or third (Control) words, but the
application cannot write to these values, because if they were written to, the
function would not work

Last edited: