Allen bradley

Karl362

I have a SLC 5/05
1747-um011 i had someone changing a battery pulled the cpu out with power on and now just flashes fault and nothing else im assuming they dropped the program so tried a eeprom load and didn't have any success it just acts as if it isn't talking to eat then tried a different Cpu and tried to set it up from scratch and seem im not having any luck please help

Last edited:
I have a SLC 5/05
1747-um011 i had someone changing a battery pulled the cpu out with power on and now just flashes fault and nothing else im assuming they dropped the program so tried a eeprom load and didn't have any success it just acts as if it isn't talking to eat then tried a different Cpu and tried to set it up from scratch and seem im not having any luck please help

Oh that could be bad news. You obviously know you should never remove an SLC module under power .....

Anyway, you could try defaulting the SLC by removing the battery, then on the PCB there are two lands labelled Vbb. Short these connections out for about 15 seconds, re-install the battery, and put the module back in the chassis.

If it powers up again, (fingers crossed) it will be reset to factory defaults, memory cleared, and the project name loaded will be blank with the name DEFAULT.

If you get this far, you simply have to reload the program and you should be good to go. EDIT : The configuration for how the SLC handles EEPROM loading will have been reset also, you may have to manually initiate that, and reconfigure the loading options to how they were.

If you didn't make it to DEFAULT, then you will have to find another use for the processor module ....

You didn't say why you had no luck with an alternative CPU module ....

Last edited:
I did reset and think the serial port not talking to the computer so trying to get a new serial port that supports AB do know the exact kind model j need to go from serial port to USB? Cause after trying a different processor I get the same reaction from trying to set up the IP Address. I do have a backup program for just getting connected and setting up IP Address and then loading it so assuming im not talking to it it does give a configuration error when trying?

Not all of the USB to Serial adapters you can buy work successfully with A-B hardware.

There are many that do, but I've always relied on the Tripp-Lite KEYSPAN USA-19HS, and it has never let me down. I never leave home without it ...

With the SLC defaulted the serial port defaults back to DF1 protocol, so communications via RSLinx will be possible.

In theory, it is the plugging-in of a module that is most damaging if it is not designed for RIUP.

Simply removing a module disconnects all pins simultaneously.

Fingers crossed once you get serial connectivity sorted you will be good to go.

There are several USA-19HS adapters on eBay (USA) right now, about the $40 to $50 range, and I can say for certain that they do work !! It might seem pricey compared to others, but you have no guarantee they will work. The USA-19HS will handle the 9600Bd without handshaking signals, which is the default setup for the SLC serial port.

I appreciate all the help and info from everyone so worse case ill have to get a different cpu if when it was plugged back in it was damaged im assuming the damaged would be done to the cpu and not the rack correct?

I did reset and think the serial port not talking to the computer so trying to get a new serial port that supports AB do know the exact kind model j need to go from serial port to USB? Cause after trying a different processor I get the same reaction from trying to set up the IP Address. I do have a backup program for just getting connected and setting up IP Address and then loading it so assuming im not talking to it it does give a configuration error when trying?

Since you reset have and you cant get the serial port to work have you tried the Ethernet port? try using BootP or even ControlFlash to see if you can load the load the IP address.

I sell cables that work with AB products so if you need one see our website, it will ship today if you order before 1pm eastern

Since you reset have and you cant get the serial port to work have you tried the Ethernet port? try using BootP or even ControlFlash to see if you can load the load the IP address.

I sell cables that work with AB products so if you need one see our website, it will ship today if you order before 1pm eastern

I don't believe there is any Bootstrap protocol functionality in ControlFlash to configure an Ethernet port. BootP would be the only option.

@Karl362

From the manual 1747-UM011G-EN-P page 153

Power status LED : On
Fault Status LED : Flashing
All other LEDs : Off

Probable cause : the processor has detected an error and has returned the CPU to factory default condition.

Recommended Actions : ....
1. Follow the Start-Up procedures on page 121.....

2. Clear the processor memory to get rid of the flashing CPU fault status indicator.

IMHO 1. and 2. above are the wrong way round, since the start-up procedures say to "Initialise and Test your Processor", by creating some test code with the programming device, and then to download controller configuration and sample test programs....

You are not going to be able to do that until you have cleared the processor faulted status.

If you can default the processor and it fires back up with the power status LED On, and all other LEDs Off, then you have a good chance of being able to communicate to it through the serial port (assuming you have a USB->Serial adapter).

Good luck

I don't believe there is any Bootstrap protocol functionality in ControlFlash to configure an Ethernet port. BootP would be the only option.

Actually there is... I never use BootP because its a pain, if you use ControlFlash and start the setup for an unknown IP address the first thing you do is enter the MAC address and assign the IP address, its faster and easier than BootP

I flash and setup 5-10 05's a week doing it this way

Actually there is... I never use BootP because its a pain, if you use ControlFlash and start the setup for an unknown IP address the first thing you do is enter the MAC address and assign the IP address, its faster and easier than BootP

I flash and setup 5-10 05's a week doing it this way

Well, they say you learn something new every day ! Thanks G.I.T. for that great insight !!

Of course, I've never actually read any instructions on how to use ControlFlash, just got on with it ! 30 odd years down the line this gem pops up !

It was out of necessity, I struggled with BootP just about every time I used it, may just been me but I had issues

🍻