How to open a *.apa file (FactoryTalk)

Tofo

Dear all

I have a file which people told me that was created by FactoryTalk (maybe v5). I have the file, the extension is *.apa. I open FactoryTalk v6 , but I could not see the file (see attachment, not shown the filename there). Is it because they are different version or some other reason?

Do I need to put the file into a specific folder in order to be detectable?

Thanks

Capture.jpg

A file with an .apa extension is an archive of that project. You will need to use Aplication Manager to restore the project then you can open it in FT. It will only show up under the appropriate heading, i.e. SE or ME.

Kraken Fan #69

I go to application manager, then select "restore application". I select the file and click next. An message " The file xxxxx.apa is not a valid archive file" is shown. How to solve it?

I go to application manager, then select "restore application". I select the file and click next. An message " The file xxxxx.apa is not a valid archive file" is shown. How to solve it?

You're using the wrong version....Most likely, the apa file is newer than your version....What's great (facetious) is Rockwell doesn't keep up with what patch rollup is installed, so while you may be at v 6.0 and the target machaine a v 6.0 if the target machine has a later patch roll up, you may not be able to open it, but there's also no way to tell the patch roll up...It'll be CPR9 (eg) on both machines. Welcome to the wonderful world of FT Me/Se (pronounced Messy).

Last edited:

I have this exact same problem. I have Factory Talk View Studio version 8.00 and I have been told the apa file is possibly version 5. Will I need the older software version to open this file?

You should be able to open OLDER versions, just not newer. If you have a techconnect contract, technote 49016 goes over this issue. A few possibilities from this list, eliminating ones that are obviously not your issue:

- You could be trying to use the ME tool on an SE file, or vice versa
- The APA file could be read only
- You may need to install the latest FT services platform, or the latest FT patches (side note; if you haven't done that, definitely do it - there's one bug in particular with v8 that will brick a PVP 7 if you try to flash the firmware. It's recoverable with a USB keyboard and some playing, but not before you've had a minor heart attack)
- The APA file has ActiveX files in the project that aren't registered on your PC

You should be able to open OLDER versions, just not newer. If you have a techconnect contract, technote 49016 goes over this issue. A few possibilities from this list, eliminating ones that are obviously not your issue:

- You could be trying to use the ME tool on an SE file, or vice versa
- The APA file could be read only
- You may need to install the latest FT services platform, or the latest FT patches (side note; if you haven't done that, definitely do it - there's one bug in particular with v8 that will brick a PVP 7 if you try to flash the firmware. It's recoverable with a USB keyboard and some playing, but not before you've had a minor heart attack)
- The APA file has ActiveX files in the project that aren't registered on your PC
Thanks for the reply. I thought maybe is was the SE/ME problem, but when I checked the Help->About of my software it says "FactoryTalk View Studio is the development environment for FactortyTalk View Machine Edition and FactoryTalk View Site Edition"

I opened the file in Notepad and I see some references to "Program Files \Rockwell Software\RSView Enterprise\SE"

I would suspect that would be an SE apa file then - although I've never tried opening one in notepad to look at it.

When you load up the Application Manager, do you get a screen asking you whether you want to run it in Machine Edition or Site Edition, or does it just go straight to asking you what operation you want to perform?

When you load up the Application Manager, do you get a screen asking you whether you want to run it in Machine Edition or Site Edition, or does it just go straight to asking you what operation you want to perform?
It goes directly to the window "Select operation to perform"

If that's the case you only have ME (machine edition) installed and/or licensed. The "about" file is correct when it says that "FactoryTalk View Studio is the development environment for FactoryTalk View Machine Edition and FactoryTalk View Site Edition" - it IS the development environment for both - but you can install it as ME only or ME and SE. As you would expect, an SE license costs more.

You're using the wrong version....Most likely, the apa file is newer than your version....What's great (facetious) is Rockwell doesn't keep up with what patch rollup is installed, so while you may be at v 6.0 and the target machaine a v 6.0 if the target machine has a later patch roll up, you may not be able to open it, but there's also no way to tell the patch roll up...It'll be CPR9 (eg) on both machines. Welcome to the wonderful world of FT Me/Se (pronounced Messy).

Dealing with this today. Is this still how it is? Wow! What a joke. I go to Apps and features, nothing about the patch that is installed just v10.00.00 and I don't want to just go to the latest patch as then the customer will not be able to open it.

The FactoryTalk help about on my system says Patch/Pack 12 but I installed the Patches-06.Aug-2018 patch. How can I find what one the APA is looking for? Even if I get the patch level from the customers system how do I find the right Patch to download? If I had needed Patch/Pack 12 how would I have known that I'd need to download Patches-06.Aug-2018 for that? What a pain.

I can't believe in this day and age how many apps you can't just go to Help > About and see the flippin' version/patch level and then many give you the wrong version and or a version that they Do Not use on there own site as the version.