PLC Programming from a VM

I have WinXP running on Virtual Box. However, it can't display the video in 1920x1200. In the display settings I have the video memory set to 256MB which is the highest I am allowed. I set the monitor count to 1, scale factor to 100% and the graphics controller to VBoXVGA. This works but WinXP shows a small box in the middle of the screen. If I set the graphics controller to

VBoxSVGA I get an error.

I can't use Ethernet with WinXP running of V-Box either. I have the adapter enabled attached to NAT. Under advanced I have selected Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM). However, that driver is old and not supplied by V-Box additional tools
nor does Intel support in anymore.

Also, I have a linux mint and linx mx running on the same machine with the same ethernet setting and display setting. The linux VMs work but not the WinXP. Virtual Box does not seem to have updates for WinXP

I still find myself using the WinXP VM more than I would like. Just can't drag some clients into the last 1.5 decade. But at least it still works.

For display, I don't have higher than FHD currently. I'm using the VBoxVGA controller, 64 MB, and FHD works using Full Screen. Under File -> Preferences -> Display, do you have a Max Guest Screen Size? Mine is at Automatic. If I've changed resolution in the guest I've had to occasionally enable View -> Auto resize Guest to get WinXP to snap back to the native resolution.

As for ethernet, in WinXP I have selected the PCNet-FAST III (Am79C973) device. I haven't had any issues with it.

Mint/Cinnamon is a good choice. I, however, settled on Pop!_OS, as I'm saving my pennies for one of System 76's Oryx Pro laptops. That's the default OS, and I wanted a good test drive in a work environment.

That said, I've not had any issues running it on my Dell G7. I use KVM for my hypervisor, which wasn't too difficult to get the daemon running, and there is now a GUI frontend called vmm that makes creating a new VM pretty painless.

I've also been experimenting with PlayOnLinux, which is based on Wine, but as can be expected, not much luck for Rockwell products. :rolleyes:

I was running VirtualBox on a Linux/Mint VM host and it ran well for a while, the only wrinkle was needing an USB-Ethernet/RJ45 dongle with a new S7-1200; NAT would not work even though I could see the packets on the wire using tcpdump on the VM host. I used the USB-Ethernet dongle to assign the S7-1200 IP that first time, and the NAT was fine after that.

But eventually a VirtualBox guest VM running more than a few minutes would cause the host to hang, requiring a power cycle and reboot. I never fixed it, just moved my Windows apps to a desktop, and eventually that Linux host's SSD died.