Running older PCIS.exe software for Allen Bradley SLC100's on a new PC system with Wi

Bill Beller

I have a new Laptop with Windows Xp Professional and it did not com with a COM1 port which is needed for communicating with a SLC100 so I have purchased a 1747-UIC. This will plug into the USB port and give me a COM1 out. I haven't recieved the 1747-UIC yet ,but has anyone had any luck running and older dos based program like PCIS software on an XP system to be able to perform programming or editing changes. We still have some older SLC100's and SLC150 that I still have to maintain. I will send out the results of my what happens when I get the UIC.

I have the same situation here having some old slc's (150) that just won't die. I have the 1747-UIC but NO laptop yet..

I think Dell is sending it on a slow ship from China

Gary

The 1747-UIC is for Data Highway 485 networks, which are used only with SLC-500 controllers and not with SLC-100 or SLC-150 controllers.

Those controllers had a different kind of communication port, and you used a device called a 1745-PCC (I think...it's been a decade since I used one). B&B Electronics sells a modern equivalent.

But don't look for that old DOS software to run on Windows XP, or be able to access a USB/RS-232 converter.

Go down to your local PC recycler and pick up the oldest portable PC you can find, and run PCICS on that.

Where I work we keep old laptops that match the vintage of the controllers they program. If the laptop dies, maybe they will let us upgrade the controllers. Who knows......

slc100

Do a search on this website for slc100. Use the Search Button at the top of the screen. There's a lot of info available. Windows98 second edition is about the most dependable software for me, with a real serial port.

Ken, the device number you gave is correct.

I posted, a long time back, a way to adapt a RS232 to RS422 using a Black Box short haul modem. I'm sure that B&B would have something also.

Try using MicroSoft Virtual PC with Win XP Pro; It lets you define a virtual computer system with whatever you want for hard disk and ram resources (plus CPU utilization). I've used it both with Win98SE and DOS operating systems. Older software that had communications problems running on a native Win98SE computer run without issues in a WinXP Pro Virtual PC environment running Win98SE operating system. It seems that the virtual allocation that you make for the serial port does not get 'bumped' off line by Win98SE (unlike how it would operate on a real Win98SE machine).

Additionally, hardware that WinXP Pro & your laptop supports can be supported by VPC and Win98SE or perhaps even DOS. You can set up a Virtual Pipe to emulate a serial port connection between Win98 or DOS and WinXP. This may be an avenue to get the PCIS to work with some other type of hardware interface (as long as the SLC supports it). I've used VPC for DOS based TiSoft with excellent results; likewise, other Siemens products that are 16 bit run very well also.