Replacing PV550

mad4x4

We have an old machine that has been mothballed since early 2018 and management are looking at more work for it in 2022. The system runs on an SLC 5/03 CPU PLC and a PV550 ( with Keyboard).

The PLC is fine we have a store full of bits for it and can replace everything about 3 times over, so good for another 25 years. But the PV is showing its age and we want to "modernise" the system by upgrading or changing the PV to a newer one.

Before someone suggests rip it all out and replace we want to give this new life until we can get a complete upgrade built and installed so it's mend and make do for now until we can get CAPEX for 202/23 approved.:confused:

The system from the drawing is using DH485, We have the source for both the PV and the PLC but we have lost the development environment in the office due to all the machine upgrades over the years. Is there anywhere I can get hold of PanelView32 and RSlogix for a (SLC 5/03 CPU) not sure what version we need.

We, of course, don't have are not addicted to the Rockwell drug so don't have a valid support chair. 🔨🔨

The thought was if I could get a copy of PV32 I can open the project which I've never seen running, and migrate the HMI over to a JMOBILE panelor a Maple or a Weintek that supports DH485.

Is Panelview32 available in the "Internet Archive" or an FTP site somewhere?

Panelbuilder32 was still available from a Rockwell Software distributor a couple of years ago for around $800. It is one of those items that isn't typically listed on webstores, but an email or phone call to your supplier should still be able to get it.

RSLogix 500 is what you will need for the 5/03 and there are a handful of editions depending on what features you need. Starter edition is the cheapest and doesn't support online editing or cross reference or the Usage feature in data table views. Standard Edition is much more programmer friendly having all those features.

When we need a new HMI for a 5/03 using the DH485 port, we use Red Lion CR or Graphite series. We have a contact in OKC who can repair the old Panelview standards and make them like new when we run into a case where the owner doesn't want to upgrade.

2711-ND3 is the part number for PB32. The latest version (3.83) runs just fine on Windows 10.

You might have to do some dll surgery on RSLinx if you are running version 4.0 or higher in order to use RSLinx to transfer applications using its services.

The Panelbuilder 32 may be downloadable for free i know a few years back the stopped requiring the Activatin Key
But keep in mind that it only runs on DOS the lastest Windows vrsion i could get it to work on is Windows XP Pro so you will need a VM
Most of those PV's used com port to communicate either RS232 or RS485
the DH485 if used is a real pain to work with as the PLC is the master and the PV must be setup as a slave.
if I were you I would start looking at alteratives depending on what you need a standard PC couls work for you you just need a driver

Panelbuilder 32 partially runs on my Win 10 laptop.
I open and develop applications with win 10 but cannot download to the actual PV.
I have VMware running windows 7 with Panelbuilder 32 and RSLinx and it they both work.

Pannelbuilder 32 dos not use RSLinx to communicate
it runs directly to teh com port COM 1 or COM 2 i think theri is a way to setup COM 3-4
but you have to address the the prot address and IRQ directly similar tot he older ICOM software used for PLC2 and PLC3
I have the latest version from Rockwell and i couls never get it to run in Windows above XP
Tech Support recomends DOS only as VM would be your best option and remember COM 1 or COM 2 windows 10 dos not assign them by default

Pannelbuilder 32 dos not use RSLinx to communicate
it runs directly to teh com port COM 1 or COM 2 i think theri is a way to setup COM 3-4
but you have to address the the prot address and IRQ directly similar tot he older ICOM software used for PLC2 and PLC3
I have the latest version from Rockwell and i couls never get it to run in Windows above XP
Tech Support recomends DOS only as VM would be your best option and remember COM 1 or COM 2 windows 10 dos not assign them by default

I think you are mixing up Panelbuilder with Panelbuilder 32. The original was a Dos based program. Panelbuilder 32 runs on Windows and the latest version runs fine on 64 bit windows 10. It has never been free. There is a built in communication utility to allow PB32 to communicate serially to Panelview Standard hardware, or you can choose to use RSLinx which gives you more options.

PB32a.png

I generally prefer to use RSLinx with PB32, since the few I still have to support are on Ethernet. So the patch to allow newer versions of RSLinx to work was handy for me a few times. The drop down list in the PB32 download dialog box lists the options including RSLinx Network which will open up a RSWho window and let you drill down to the hardware using RSLinx.

PB32b.png

Last edited:
I'd like to correct a few of the comments about PanelBuilder32.

1. PanelBuilder32 has never required activation but also has never been free. While it is difficult to get directly from Rockwell for obsolescence reasons, most RA integrators have it and many RA distributors will provide it to you if you give them the opportunity to bid a retrofit.

2. PanelBuilder32 does have direct serial drivers, but generally uses RSLinx to perform upload/download to PanelView Standard terminals. As noted, some attention to patches may be required in Windows 10 so that PanelBuilder32's upload/download utility can work with RSLinx Classic.

3. PanelBuilder32 is from the Windows 95/98 era. To my knowledge it is only supported up to Windows XP, but many users report success running it in Windows 7 and some success in Windows 10.

When you've got a PanelView Standard question, it's best to post the precise catalog number, and any details you have about the PLC it's being used with and the cable that connects them.

Okie beat me to it
Panelbuilder32 works RSLinx and direct com port options

the red Xs would be gone if the hardware was connected.

RSLinx PV.png

Wow that news to me when I talked to Tech Connect back when windoes 7 came out they would not support it in and windows above XP and nda no plans to do so
they also told me that Logix 5000 28 was not supported in Windosw 10 and agin they had no plan to do so recomended a VM machine for them
Ver 29 may work or not it's questionable
I know Panelbuiler32 was interduced and ended befor they even had RSLinx

Also I have seen RSLinx show and identify an older devices but not be able to commuicate with it I have seen it identfy other computers on the network and not communicate with them

it looks like Rockwell changed their mind on the compatability issue.
As I said when i talked to them they were not going to go back and upgrade older
versions of the drivers i guess they got to maney complants

if it works go for it
i am going to have to check for upgrades the last time I checked I had the latest and it didn't work but them i use a VM and COM port ( Old School)

I think Ken mentioned that it is only officially supported on XP, but the latest version 3.83 has been pretty much trouble free for me on at least a dozen different computers running Windows 7 Pro (32 bit and 64 bit) and Windows 10 64 bit.

At one time you could download the installer for the latest version but I am not sure how long lived that was. We have it on CD and keep a portable DVD reader around for software like that. I'll look in the compatibility and downloads center to see if that is still the case. If you have a valid serial number, you should be able to upgrade. I am pretty sure that 3.82 and earlier would choke on Windows 7, but 3.83 has been fine.

EDIT: Yes, go here with your serial number handy and search for 2711-ND3

https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/MultiProductSelector.aspx?crumb=111

Last edited:
OkiePC

latest version 3.83 has been pretty much trouble free for me on at least a dozen different computers running Windows 7 Pro (32 bit and 64 bit) and Windows 10 64 bit.

OkiePC,
you are able to download to the PV using a RSLinx Network on Windows 10 machine??

you are able to download to the PV using a RSLinx Network on Windows 10 machine??

Only issue I have ever had is the issue with newer RSLinx versions requiring the dll surgery that OkiePC already mentioned. After putting the old dll in the Panelbuilder32 folder I've had no other problems.

Have done this on both Windows 7 and Windows 10 (64-bit).